Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Contributor

The right installment loan amount.

Ive been doing some research on the alliant secured loan as I have no installment loans and feel this can boost my fico. I was on CK's simulator and entered the personal loan amount of 500 to see what it might do to my score. The lower I went in amount, the higher it got. I was down to 50 bucks and it still kept going up. I realize this is not a reflection of what will actually occurr but it got me thinking. Has anyone ever gotten a small secured loan for 100 or 200 bucks and seen a good increase? Could it be this lower amount might yeild a  higher score increase? 

Highlighted

Re: The right installment loan amount.

[ Edited ]

steelholder wrote:

Ive been doing some research on the alliant secured loan as I have no installment loans and feel this can boost my fico. I was on CK's simulator and entered the personal loan amount of 500 to see what it might do to my score. The lower I went in amount, the higher it got. I was down to 50 bucks and it still kept going up. I realize this is not a reflection of what will actually occurr but it got me thinking. Has anyone ever gotten a small secured loan for 100 or 200 bucks and seen a good increase? Could it be this lower amount might yeild a  higher score increase? 

As near as we've been able to determine the size of the loan is irrelevant to scoring (might not apply to underwriting but we don't have visibility into that).  It's simply the ratio of current balance to original balance in aggregate for all loans.

If you can get a $100 share secured loan go for it, but in practice it's probably a minimum of $250 in the lenders I looked through, and if you use Alliant even with $500 if you pay it down immediately they release the funds and only hold 2X current balance.  So in my case with a loan now at $20/$500 I'm tying up $40, not a big deal so at least in this place in life size doesn't matter.

In general I would suggest length of loan matters more, but Alliant is a known good quanity that's worked for hundreds of forum members over the last few years, and other than maybe Penfed which should work similarly with a friendly pay-ahead model as well, but I have little interest in testing anything beyond Penfed personally though that may be because I have a mortgage on my account making the SSL kind of irrelevant other than tradeline farming.

Note: this is FICO we're talking about, and in general relying on simulators is really a bad idea as I am 100% confident the developers of said simulators aren't reading this for similar forums about algorithm implementation.  I definitely wouldn't trust the CK simulator on this one, and it's probably attempting to optimize something which isn't FICO anyway, which makes little sense in today's market.

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 688, TU 4 758, EX 2 703, EQ 8 728, TU 8 762, EX 8 739 (6/12/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.