Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The unbelievable falling FICO score..

tag
JoMellow
Established Contributor

The unbelievable falling FICO score..

I've just recieved a notice that there was a change to my FICO score.. logged in to review it and I about fainted.  -14 points on EQ. FOURTEEN points?! Smiley Sad (Hubby lost 17 points on his EQ)

According to the alert I lost points for A) Balance decrease (paid down from $293 to $75) and B) Account information change. Refinanced our home and the original creditor has reported it as closed, paid as agreed with a zero balance and the new mortgage hasn't yet reported. 

I'm sick over this - literally.  Is there any hope that once the new mortgage is reported that we will see a rebound?  I'm at 701 now,  from a high of 722 at the beginning of the month. 

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: The unbelievable falling FICO score..

If that's your only installment loan, then very reasonable, probably on the lucky side actually. But should restore somewhat with the new mortgage.

Message 2 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Other people have reported similar FICO08 score decreases when their only open installment loan changes to closed.   Pretty sure that you'll see a rebound when the new mortgage appears.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

Other people have reported similar FICO08 score decreases when their only open installment loan changes to closed.   Pretty sure that you'll see a rebound when the new mortgage appears.

+2

Message 4 of 19
JoMellow
Established Contributor

Thanks... I guess we'll see what happens in a month or so when the new one reports.. *fingers crossed* that it goes up. 

Message 5 of 19
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@JoMellow wrote:

Thanks... I guess we'll see what happens in a month or so when the new one reports.. *fingers crossed* that it goes up. 

You will certainly see a score rebound.  But please be patient.  It will probably take more than a month or two.  Your score took a small hit due to closing of your only installment loan (which is totally unfair).  When the new loan reports, you will gain most of those points back.  However, your AAoA will probably be hurt.  It can lower your score in the short term.  In the long term, your score will probably be higher due to two positive mortgages on your CR.  But it is little solace in the short term.

Message 6 of 19
JoMellow
Established Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

You will certainly see a score rebound.  But please be patient.  It will probably take more than a month or two.  Your score took a small hit due to closing of your only installment loan (which is totally unfair).  When the new loan reports, you will gain most of those points back.  However, your AAoA will probably be hurt.  It can lower your score in the short term.  In the long term, your score will probably be higher due to two positive mortgages on your CR.  But it is little solace in the short term.

I'm over the initial shock, I knew there would be a shift downward with closing of our only installment loan. Luckily I have plenty of time to ride it out (no new app's planned until 2015). I'll grab an Amex for the 1992 member since date, which should help offset the new TL.  Plus, I'm stoked that we were able to go from a 20 year payoff down to 9.

I'm geared up to try and hit 750's by end of 2015.. and hopefully 800's in 2016.  thanks for your insight Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 19
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Congradulations on paying off your mortgage so quickly.  That is huge.   It will free up cash to help you with your other goals.   Your score will rebound before you know it.

Message 8 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well i never saw a rebound. lost about 25 points in june after i paid off personal loan from credit union. did not open another. as it is positive tradeline. however. it is not helping my score now. and it says here. no open installment. loans. apparently. the installment must be open at all times. i will not open installment just because fico likes that. to hell with it. then

Message 9 of 19
JoMellow
Established Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

Congradulations on paying off your mortgage so quickly.  That is huge.   It will free up cash to help you with your other goals.   Your score will rebound before you know it.

I'm going to try and just not get to wadded up over scores for the next few months; micromanaging - microworrying is pointless for now. Thanks so much for your encouragement.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.