cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no reason my score dropped even more. I just paid off THOUSANDS.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no reason my score dropped even more. I just paid off THOUSANDS.

New guy, frustrated and looking for answers.  Hopefully I can find something here.

Back ground, 40 - Business Professional, married, gross income of roughly $150k.  I have never been unemployeed, never missed ANY payments, never had a cell phone disconnected, etc...  I do have one negative on my report.  I had a 2nd mortgate (construction loan) and paid it on time.  It was sold to a little bank who didnt cash their checks on time (true story).  They hit me with late charges I refused to pay.  Ergo, they reported me as 30-days late.  I called their Bank President and he removed it from my score.  Within a year it was back on there.  My score averaged over 720 (Experian or Equifax) so I didnt worry too much about it. 

Flash forward.  My wife and I decide to sell our home and build a custom "Dream Home" and downsize our property.  We had to do some work on the house before putting it on the market so we used about $10k in credit cards and planned on using equity in the home to pay off the debt if needed.  The home sold 2 weeks after listing and we immediately held good to our promise and paid the debt and even used the equity to pay off more debt.  When we spent about 10k the score dropped as you would expect, like a rock.  I was ok because I assumed freeing up money and paying off that debt would boost my score back.....  NOPE.

As of this morning my score dropped another 10 points.  I went from 720+ initially, spent around 10K and my score dropped to 680.  Paid off the 10K we utilized and my score dropped to 670.  The other installment loans we paid have not hit my score yet and I shutter to think what they will be when they show paid.  Also, my mortgate will show a balance of Zero within a week...  Crap, I may have a 500 score by the first of December at this rate!  What happened?!

Keep in mind - This is where we sit...

Mortgate - Was $108,000 and is now $0 (not showing on equifax yet)

Revolving - shows $8,000 and will be $0 any day

Installment - one tractor, a 4-wheeler, and a Nissan for a total of roughly $35,000

We have had active credit lines (cars, credit cards, mortgages, etc) for better than 20-years!  Now I want to build a $250,000 house and my credit score is dropping!

Sorry.. end of rant.  Please help.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: There is no reason my score dropped even more. I just paid off THOUSANDS.

@Anonymous wrote:

New guy, frustrated and looking for answers.  Hopefully I can find something here.

Back ground, 40 - Business Professional, married, gross income of roughly $150k.  I have never been unemployeed, never missed ANY payments, never had a cell phone disconnected, etc...  I do have one negative on my report.  I had a 2nd mortgate (construction loan) and paid it on time.  It was sold to a little bank who didnt cash their checks on time (true story).  They hit me with late charges I refused to pay.  Ergo, they reported me as 30-days late.  I called their Bank President and he removed it from my score.  Within a year it was back on there.  My score averaged over 720 (Experian or Equifax) so I didnt worry too much about it. 

Flash forward.  My wife and I decide to sell our home and build a custom "Dream Home" and downsize our property.  We had to do some work on the house before putting it on the market so we used about $10k in credit cards and planned on using equity in the home to pay off the debt if needed.  The home sold 2 weeks after listing and we immediately held good to our promise and paid the debt and even used the equity to pay off more debt.  When we spent about 10k the score dropped as you would expect, like a rock.  I was ok because I assumed freeing up money and paying off that debt would boost my score back.....  NOPE.

As of this morning my score dropped another 10 points.  I went from 720+ initially, spent around 10K and my score dropped to 680.  Paid off the 10K we utilized and my score dropped to 670.  The other installment loans we paid have not hit my score yet and I shutter to think what they will be when they show paid.  Also, my mortgate will show a balance of Zero within a week...  Crap, I may have a 500 score by the first of December at this rate!  What happened?!

Keep in mind - This is where we sit...

Mortgate - Was $108,000 and is now $0 (not showing on equifax yet)

Revolving - shows $8,000 and will be $0 any day

Installment - one tractor, a 4-wheeler, and a Nissan for a total of roughly $35,000

We have had active credit lines (cars, credit cards, mortgages, etc) for better than 20-years!  Now I want to build a $250,000 house and my credit score is dropping!

Sorry.. end of rant.  Please help.

1. Mortgage... ok on that.

2. Revolving... go out & charge a hamburger or something, it's best to have one card reporting a small balance than all cards reporting a zero balance.

3. Installment... what is the total of the original face amounts of the non-mortgage installment loans?

When we have the answer to 3 we can advise you on where to go next.

Meanwhile you have to be patient to let the 30 day cycles play out, to see where you are. E.g., your credit card balances don't mean a thing scorewise until the statements cut, the statement balances are reported, and the bureaus incorporate the new reported balances.

I don't think your score is "dropping" at all. I think, when the dust settles, it will be just fine.

Also, just so we're on the same page... what score are you talking about? FICO 8?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to focus on practical steps you can take moving forward.

There's nothing you can do about the mortgage that has been paid off. 

The credit card debt situation (all $0 balances) is not good, but it is easily fixable.  First we'll need to know how many credit cards you have right now.  The bottom line is you'll want exactly one card showing a positive balance with all other cards showing a $0 balance.  The one card needs to be:

(a)  A true credit card (not a charge card)

(b)  A card in your name (not an AU card)

(c)  Showing a balance of at least $5 (but otherwise a small amount)

With the installment loans, we'll need you to list all your open loans with the original amount of the loan and the amount you currently owe.  Include finance company accounts, anything that seems like it would be an installment account.

You mention a desire to build a 250k house.  When might you need a loan for that?

Note that FICO 8 scores (which are probably the thing that you see diving) are much more sensitive to loan amounts (especially payoffs) than your mortgage scores will be.  (EX mortgage is somewhat sensitive to it, EQ and TU not at all.)  So your situation is possibly much better than you think.

Can you clarify the date of your 30-day late on your second mortgage?  You don't mention when that is.  Having a 30-day late on a mortgage is not ideal for the mortgage scores (they dislike all derogs and are fairly unforgiving) but it is also bad on a manual review since the credit need you anticipate is for a new mortgage.  That's the last thing you want a history of late payments on.

You were successful getting the 30-day removed before.  You should definitely explore the possibility of getting it removed again.  THere are people here on this forum who have experience with that.  Without a doubt, however, you will need to go into it with the correct attitude, which is a desire to avoid the derog on your report, rather than the desire to be In The Right over late fees.

Do you have tools for pulling your credit reports on at least a monthly basis?  (Reports, not scores.)  There are a variety of free tools out there.  When is the last time you have carefully looked over your reports?

Also, can you clarify what it is that you are using to check your scores with?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason couldnt access my account so I created another this morning?

Anyway, Credit Cards we have (all are 10+ years old).  Some were taken out in my wifes name, some in mine but we are both on the cards

Amex - 10k - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Visa - 8k - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Visa - 3500 - Zero Balance

Best Buy - 4500 (hasnt had a single doller on it in 5+ years) - Zero Balance

Lowes - 9200 - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Installment

* Tractor - High Balance, $18,500 (Opened about 4-6'ish months ago.  Balance now is $17,500  -  Local bank

* Nissan - $23,500 High Balance - Currently just over $14,000 - Local Bank

* Polaris - $8,000 high Balance - Currently $4,000'ish -  Local Bank

* Forgot the land I financed for the new Construction - $35k  Putting cash in it now for equity.  Its 5.5 acres so im clearing trees, moving dirt, etc.  Also paying cash for a $20k Shop.

As far as new construction - The shop footings will start in December.  I will hire the crew to pour the pad shortly thereafter.  My PM wants to start late December if at all possible.  I was ready to start the paperwork now but it looks like I have to wait.  Plans are finished, estimate is finished, waiting on the scores.

And forgive my ignorance.  I am fairly new to all of this.  Evertything Ive purchased has been walk in and get the money, etc. No worries.  This is a bit different so I am not sure what scores to use.  Right now I am suscribed to the Equifax plan that allows me to pull my score daily, etc. 

As far as the late payment.  Because I have challenged once before (over the phone) and they removed it I hope to have it removed.  I did challenge recently through Equifax.  I noted that it had been removed and put back on and asked that they remove it.  If that doesnt work I will call too.  If you look at the way they tagged me late, it was on the quarter every time for a total of 6 times.  They flagged it late in January and again in Q3 (August) for 3-years.  Initially it was just twice but when they put it back on it was a total of 6-times.  They ALWAYS received their payment so this frustrates me to no avail.  It is literally a late fee I refused to pay because they were days late cashing a check.  I was told legally they couldnt do that but here we are.  After that one check everything went certified mail so incase I needed to get a lawyer.  In the end I did pay off the total (which included the late fee) so they couldnt dispute that.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards:

*  Charge something small on exactly one card.  Leave all other cards reporting at $0.

*  Credit card companies typically report whatever your balance is on the date the statement is cut.  So if you want to hurry this process along, choose a card for which you expect the statement to print sometime in late November.  If you do not expect any statements to print in late November, then choose the card that will have a statement in early Dec.

*  You are at risk of having your Best Buy card cancelled, because you have not used it in so long.  Does the BB card have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it?  The best approach may be to leave it alone at this point, but as soon as all this craziness is over, you may want to buy something with it.

Installment loans:

Your EQ and TU mortgage scores will not be helped by paying down your loans any further,  It is possible that your EX mortgage score could be helped, but don't take any action yet on this.

30-Day Late:

*  You should be working with people here on the forum who have expertise in this area.  As I mentioned before, I suggest you head over to the Rebuilding forum and create a new post focusing solely on the 30-day late.  You will want to be sure that you have pulled all three of your credit reports (not scores, but reports) and have read through them carefully to make sure you understand them.  The folks in the Rebuilding forum will ask you when the reports say that the late happened (I asked you this too).  Make sure that they understand that you have a very tight timeframe.

*  Bear in mind that the dispute process often results only in the credit bureau contacting the creditor and asking if the information is correct.  In the case of your creditor, they will likely say "yes."  And then the dispute will come back saying that the info has been verified.  So a worthwhile thing to do is enlist the help of the creditor first -- get them on your side.  Again, talk to the Rebuilding folks about it.

Credit Reports:

*  You need tools for pulling your credit reports frequently during the next 90 days.  My advice is to sign up for Credit Check Total, which will give you your Experian report updated daily and your other reports monthly.  You may well wish to cancel it as soon as all this gets resolved, but right now it would be useful to have a tool that shows EX on a daily basis. 

*  Credit Karma will give you your TransUnion (TU) and Equifax (EQ) reports weekly.  It is free.

*  You can ignore all the scores you see from CCT and CK.  The scores you will probably care about are the mortgage scores.  Below I will indicate how you can get these.

*  It is crucial right now that you be reviewing all three reports and that you understand everything on them.  When is the last time you have looked at all three?

*  When you have exactly one credit card reporting to all three bureaus with a small balance ($5 - $20, say) it will probably be time to pull your credit scores.  Do not try to pull your scores until after you have the CC reporting the way you want.

Credit Scores

*  Talk to the lender you hope to be using.  Tell him that you do not want him to pull your scores (this will result in a "hard pull" or "hard inquiry") which will likely hurt your scores.  But ask him what kind of FICO scores will be used.  Ask him specifically if these will be the same scores that are used for a mortgage.  He'll know these as the "Mortgage scores." 

*  Assuming that he says he'll be using the mortgage scores, wait until your reports show all of the recent changes you have made (CC with a small balance and all other CCs at $0, for example).  Your late will still be on there probably, because I doubt you'll have gotten it off by mid-Dec.

* Then go to myFICO and pull all your scores.  Amongst these will be your mortgage scores.  Print these out, circle back here, and tell us what they are.

Message 5 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For some reason couldnt access my account so I created another this morning?

Anyway, Credit Cards we have (all are 10+ years old).  Some were taken out in my wifes name, some in mine but we are both on the cards

Amex - 10k - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Visa - 8k - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Visa - 3500 - Zero Balance

Best Buy - 4500 (hasnt had a single doller on it in 5+ years) - Zero Balance

Lowes - 9200 - Waiting for Zero Balance to be Reported

Installment

* Tractor - High Balance, $18,500 (Opened about 4-6'ish months ago.  Balance now is $17,500  -  Local bank

* Nissan - $23,500 High Balance - Currently just over $14,000 - Local Bank

* Polaris - $8,000 high Balance - Currently $4,000'ish -  Local Bank

* Forgot the land I financed for the new Construction - $35k  Putting cash in it now for equity.  Its 5.5 acres so im clearing trees, moving dirt, etc.  Also paying cash for a $20k Shop.

As far as new construction - The shop footings will start in December.  I will hire the crew to pour the pad shortly thereafter.  My PM wants to start late December if at all possible.  I was ready to start the paperwork now but it looks like I have to wait.  Plans are finished, estimate is finished, waiting on the scores.

And forgive my ignorance.  I am fairly new to all of this.  Evertything Ive purchased has been walk in and get the money, etc. No worries.  This is a bit different so I am not sure what scores to use.  Right now I am suscribed to the Equifax plan that allows me to pull my score daily, etc. 

As far as the late payment.  Because I have challenged once before (over the phone) and they removed it I hope to have it removed.  I did challenge recently through Equifax.  I noted that it had been removed and put back on and asked that they remove it.  If that doesnt work I will call too.  If you look at the way they tagged me late, it was on the quarter every time for a total of 6 times.  They flagged it late in January and again in Q3 (August) for 3-years.  Initially it was just twice but when they put it back on it was a total of 6-times.  They ALWAYS received their payment so this frustrates me to no avail.  It is literally a late fee I refused to pay because they were days late cashing a check.  I was told legally they couldnt do that but here we are.  After that one check everything went certified mail so incase I needed to get a lawyer.  In the end I did pay off the total (which included the late fee) so they couldnt dispute that.

OK, so

1. in terms of revolving, take a visa card and charge something small on it so you'll have one account reporting a non-zero balance

2. in terms of installment, you've just got to pay that stuff down. the faster you pay it off the better, except: once you get your aggregate installment utilization below 10% you're in the 'sweet spot'... at that point your scores will be maximized in terms of installment loans... once in that neighborhood you have to be cautious about paying stuff down to zero, because as soon as you do, you lose that loan's face amount from your denominator...

e.g. 3 loans, total face amount 50k, paid down to 35,500 collectively, installment utilization = 71%

3 loans, total face amount 50k, paid down to 4,500 total with each loan paid down to 1500, installment utilization = 9%

at that point if you pay off 1 loan to zero, let's say the 23,500 loan, you've now got 2 loans, paid down to 3k, with original face amount of only 26,500.... so you've got    3k/26500=11.3%... i.e. you've gone out of the sweet spot

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

2. in terms of installment, you've just got to pay that stuff down. the faster you pay it off the better, except: once you get your aggregate installment utilization below 10% you're in the 'sweet spot'... at that point your scores will be maximized in terms of installment loans... once in that neighborhood you have to be cautious about paying stuff down to zero, because as soon as you do, you lose that loan's face amount from your denominator...

e.g. 3 loans, total face amount 50k, paid down to 35,500 collectively, installment utilization = 71%

3 loans, total face amount 50k, paid down to 4,500 total with each loan paid down to 1500, installment utilization = 9%

at that point if you pay off 1 loan to zero, let's say the 23,500 loan, you've now got 2 loans, paid down to 3k, with original face amount of only 26,500.... so you've got    3k/26500=11.3%... i.e. you've gone out of the sweet spot

Hello SJ.  I think our OP is looking to get a home loan very soon.  Next 60 days.  I think that is what is driving his worry and anxiety.

If so, then it is likely that the credit scores he should be solely concerned with are his mortgage scores.  I have asked him to contact his lender and find out what kind of FICO scores that lender will be using (with a special focus on asking about whether these might be the mortgage scores).  See my last post to him.

If the lender is going to be using the mortgage scores, then his TU and EQ sores will not budge by doing further paydowns of open installment loans.  That might help his EX score, but until we know what his mortgage scores, we can't know whether improving his EX will help his bottom line (i.e. his "middle" mortgage score).

My advice to him was therefore to get his cards reporting properly and then pull his mortgage scores.  After that he'll know whether trying to improve his EX score will help.

Message 7 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Hello SJ.  I think our OP is looking to get a home loan very soon.  Next 60 days.  I think that is what is driving his worry and anxiety.

If so, then it is likely that the credit scores he should be solely concerned with are his mortgage scores.  I have asked him to contact his lender and find out what kind of FICO scores that lender will be using (with a special focus on asking about whether these might be the mortgage scores).  See my last post to him.

If the lender is going to be using the mortgage scores, then his TU and EQ sores will not budge by doing further paydowns of open installment loans.  That might help his EX score, but until we know what his mortgage scores, we can't know whether improving his EX will help his bottom line (i.e. his "middle" mortgage score).

My advice to him was therefore to get his cards reporting properly and then pull his mortgage scores.  After that he'll know whether trying to improve his EX score will help.

I'm pretty sure the advice I gave him will help his mortgage scores. My mortgage scores are all lower than my FICO 8's, but they move pretty much in the same direction.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting that 30 day late removed (again) would be the single best thing the OP could do to raise his score and raise it immediately.  Since he was already able to get it removed once, I'd guess that it would be even easier to get it removed again by simply citing that the decision was already made to remove it which actually happened, so the "mistake" in this situation was it being re-reported.  OP I'm not sure if you have your original contact person's name/info still, but I'd start by reaching out to them.  Even if you were able to get it removed again and it came back months later it would still instantly help your scores now and at a time where you need them increased most due to the mortgage application upcoming.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SouthJ.  You might want to double check that advice with Revelate and Thomas Thumb.  They are both certain that the EQ and TU mortgage scores do not benefit at all from paying loans down, though of course they agree that FICO 8 does benefit.

Before we urge the OP to do something costly (paying all of his existing installment loans to under 10%) it would be good to know that this advice will help him.  He's already in recent memory taken action related to paying off installment debt that did not help him at all.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.