cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These credit scores are giving me a headache!!!

tag
micsupra

Re: These credit scores are giving me a headache!!!

Hi

Did you try prosper.com.

They will give you loan from $1000 to $25000

But you should have a 640 score minimum

Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried a personal loan through www.prosper.com? They are not banks lending but people and credit score does not really matter.
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, K7Kate.  I write not with advice about your credit score, but to ask whether your son's college participates in the federal student loan programs.  If so, I would recommend pursuing a PLUS, the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students.  Although the interest rate is not great, about 8%, the credit criteria to qualify are generally not as stringent as for a private consumer loan.  Also, if for any reason you do not meet the credit standards, your son may automatically become eligible for a supplemental student loan of up to $4,000, which is more than you needed to borrow in the first place (and in such a scenario, you could of course pay the loan on his behalf, though it would be in his name). Further, if you do qualify, payments on the loan are deferable upon request until your son graduates or drops below half-time enrollment, though interest will accrue in the interim.

To move forward you can contact your son's school financial aid office.  Good luck!

Zack

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, Kate -- I somehow missed the previous postings which, I see on second-read, already covered the topics I discussed.  Clearly you went through the PLUS process already!  Sorry to hear it's been so challenging.

Z.

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have your son apply for a student loan.  Then you can actually pay for it-- he should be able to get one.  Contact his college for help.  Also, some colleges will give him a short term loan that you can pay back .  AND most colleges have a pay out plan for each semester where you pay a certain percentage of the tuition up front and then make payments throughout the semester monthly.  Go to the financial aid department of the college and they should be able to help you!  We  just finished putting two of mine through school.  One we had to get student loans and on parent loan for and am now paying them and the other child we were able to pay for through by the "monthly payment" method.  Even after they graduate the kids can get forebearances or extensions before they start making payments, which helps you if you are doing the actual paying back.  Good luck!

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through a lot of the same things but then 2 years ago I joined with MY Fico and on the Fico forums there are a lot of people who can help you.  My son just finished up school and my 2 parent plus loans I needed an endorser but then the 3rd one I took I was able to get on my own.  Everyone's scores differ as each agency repoorts different things.  I have a 674 with Equifax, 692 with TransUnion and a 682 with Equifax but I know the reason is that I have a bit of credit card debr to pay and once that is paid off my scores should rise.  I went through Sallie Mae which I think is about the easiest to get.  At the time which was in March 2009 and my TU score was 698 and I was approved as that is the agency they used at that time.  You want to get your credit reports  and see if there are things that can come off.  I know when you go for a parent plus loan they do not look kindly on collections and delinquency.  You could have things tht could get off your credit report once they are paid.  I did not have any collections on my report so that could be the reason.  I would definitely check it out and not apply to many places because thaqt will hurt your scores.  Maybe you could get an endorser which on the parent plus loan just means that if you don't pay it they can go after the endorrser.  Good Luck.  I know how upsetting it all is, been there and done it so I can relate with you.
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried every score there is and all I found to be the real FICO scores was My Fico.  You can get equifax and transunion from my fico but you can't get experian.  I don't worry too much about experian being that once a year I can get a free report from annualcreditreport.com so it makes experian much less imp[ortant.  I also don't use them because they left myfico so none of us could keep tabs on our credit scores so I will not give them any money just to get a FAKO score from them.
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been navigating the Student Loan Maze for over 8 years.

When things start to become frustrating, send your child to the Financial Aide Office. The advisors can hook you up with private loans. Luckily, $3,000 is not a lot of money, so they should be able to assist. Don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Unfortunately, it is easier for the student to borrow money after the age 22, then for the parent to borrow when the student is 18. Best gift you can give your child, is fiscal responsibility. At age 18, get him/her a credit card in his/her own name and teach them to use it responsibly. Then by age 25, provided they have been responsible, your child will have 7 years credit history, which helps in achieving a high credit score since 30% of the score is history. As an undergrad, I only used my credit card for groceries and medical. I always paid it off in full, and at age 25 I have a FICO in the 700s. When I entered graduate school, I was able to borrow $80,000 from the Fed at a responsible interest rate (8%) with minimal stress.

Think of student loans as a giant board game. You just need to learn the rules, use strategy, and possibly delay gratification. Many of my classmates entered undergrad at age 23, so they could apply for loans as independents. They were able to get more loans at better rates. Many schools offer BA/MBA 5 years programs and having a MBA from a good school at age 28 is no small accomplishment.   

Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a heads up.  My son is going to college as well and our financial aid director told me that if you do not qualify for a parent plus loan then the stafford loan will allow you to borrow more that the minimum which right now is 5500.

My son automatically received 5500 dollars from the stafford loan.  Every student is eligible for that amount.  Then for the remainder you can apply for a parent plus loan if you are denied then you can go back to your schools financial aid director let them know and they know that you can get more from the stafford loan and take more. Government backed loan.  Much lower rate.

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your attention to my situation.  Slowly we're working our way through the maze.  We've got a plan for the 1st semester and right now that's all I can look at...one semester at a time. 

Thanks again!  :-)  You've all had great information for me!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.