cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Is a New One

Re: This Is a New One

We currently are refinancing our home and paid off all credit card balances and in turn our score droped 12 points.  Is this because of the inquires or because of the  0 balances on our credit cards?

We have worked so hard to improve to see it drop was very dissapointing, is this normal and how soon will it raise again?
Message 11 of 15
Moderator Emeritus

dennis3 wrote:
We currently are refinancing our home and paid off all credit card balances and in turn our score droped 12 points.  Is this because of the inquires or because of the  0 balances on our credit cards?

We have worked so hard to improve to see it drop was very dissapointing, is this normal and how soon will it raise again?

Recent inquiries will drop your score. But paying off cards should increase your score. What was your util prior to your last payment?
Message 12 of 15
New Visitor

I have found that paying off your cards entirely all at one shot will in fact hurt your score initially.  If you pay down like 75% or so is better.  I believe they say that 7 to 10% utilization is the average. 
Message 13 of 15
Moderator Emeritus

Bull32 wrote:
I have found that paying off your cards entirely all at one shot will in fact hurt your score initially.  If you pay down like 75% or so is better.  I believe they say that 7 to 10% utilization is the average. 

1-9% seems to be "the sweet spot".
Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

Bull32 wrote:
I have found that paying off your cards entirely all at one shot will in fact hurt your score initially. If you pay down like 75% or so is better. I believe they say that 7 to 10% utilization is the average.

1-9% seems to be "the sweet spot".

I better hurry up and charge something quick then.
Message 15 of 15