Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This big of a jump?! (Utilization)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This big of a jump?! (Utilization)

Two weeks ago I ran my score and had a TU FICO score of 583. Needless to say my heart nearly stopped and I quickly went over my report. I knew that my credit card balances were high and a Bloomingdale's CC that I have lowered my limit from $1500 to $250 with a balance of $800 on it. So I knew where my problem areas were. I paid off 4 cards completely and 3 I paid off below 30% utilization. In two weeks, with only 2 of the cards reporting new information my TU FICO score is now 658!!! It jumped a whopping 75 points! I can't believe the dramatic increase. Should I anitipate that my score will go up even further when the other CC's report?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This big of a jump?! (Utilization)

Utilization counts for 35% of your score. To maximize utilization you need to have less than half of your revolving accounts report a balance. Each of those should be under 9% utilization of their respective limits.
Message 2 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If the Bloomies reported that would explain all those points. If your reports are clean you should see further progress once they all report. As for how much YMMV. 
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Util is the area that is most controllable by the consumer, well, if you have the money to pay off your cards.

Don't go overboard --be sure to leave one reporting a token balance, and don't forget to then pay it off. If all report $0, you'll lose points.

OTOH, if you're not in the market for new credit and don't mind a 5-10 point score ding, you can pay everything off early and not have to fool with it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
If the Bloomies reported that would explain all those points. If your reports are clean you should see further progress once they all report. As for how much YMMV. 

That's another kicker, Bloomies won't report until July 6th! 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Util is the area that is most controllable by the consumer, well, if you have the money to pay off your cards.

Don't go overboard --be sure to leave one reporting a token balance, and don't forget to then pay it off. If all report $0, you'll lose points.

OTOH, if you're not in the market for new credit and don't mind a 5-10 point score ding, you can pay everything off early and not have to fool with it.

Great advice, thank you! I am in the market for new credit soI will certainly leave one at or around 10%. Is it possible that I may see 700 after all CC's report?

Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

PharmaStockman wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Great advice, thank you! I am in the market for new credit soI will certainly leave one at or around 10%. Is it possible that I may see 700 after all CC's report?

I don't know that util alone will get you there.

A lot depends on what baddies you have, and how recent they are.

If you have any lates, etc. approaching a "birthday" (original date of June or July of whatever year), you might get some more bumps as they get another year older.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.