cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those with an 850 score, please provide DPs!

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Those with an 850 score, please provide DPs!

So it seems 850 is the new 760.  Not complaining though.  I'm getting a new job which will do a credit check and these days I say bring it on.  Not so long ago I would have felt very different about that.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 41 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

So it seems 850 is the new 760.  Not complaining though.  I'm getting a new job which will do a credit check and these days I say bring it on.  Not so long ago I would have felt very different about that.

Well, I think now that many of us know the game, we know the major difference (other than age of oldest account) between 760 and 850 isn't anything a rational person would specifically do.

Carry a small balance on one credit card instead of $0?  Irrational.

Open a loan that makes absolutely zero sense instead of having all loans and mortgage paid in full?  Irrational.

When I see folks with scores in the high 700s, I think "wow, wonder what their utilization is!" unless they're under the age of 25.  I'm in my early 40s and I kick myself for not gaming earlier.

The more I look at the FICO game, the more I believe that 850 tells a very interesting story.  To get there and stay there, you really can't be in over your head with debt.  It's a good goal to have, moreso than just getting into superprime 760+ territory.

Message 42 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

So it seems 850 is the new 760. 

I disagree.  To me, it seems 720 is the new 760.  I keep reading about people on here getting approved with top notch rates on loans/mortgages with scores in the low 700's. 

Credit (score) goals are all relative and situational.  Few if any people start out with a goal of 850.  First goal may be 700.  Once achieved perhaps it's 750.  Then 800.  I think those with an 850 goal are people with scores already nearing 850 and they're simply wanting to see a perfect score for S&Gs.  The end goal is always excellent credit, but it's accomplished in increments, much the way a touchdown drive is achieved by moving the sticks and getting a new set of downs several times.

Message 43 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

LOTR, congrats on the 850 and thanks for the detailed data points.  I would say that everything in your profile is indeed "perfect" in that all sectors are maxed out.  I'd imagine that you have a nice 10-15 point buffer or so above 850 at this point based on your profile data.  You probably really gained 50+ points from those baddies falling off, but couldn't see the full gain since you hit 850.  Are your other reports now clean as well?  I'm curious if you'll hit 850 on the other 2B.

Thanks BBS!  I suspect the same on the 10-15 points buffer only because when my score was 801 the simulator was adding 55 points to get to 850. I know the simulator is quirky at best and we shouldn't rely on it, but I have this strange attachment to it. Smiley Tongue

(edit: clearly 801 and 55 goes past 850.  Smiley Wink  I recall the simulator adding 55 points which took me past 850 - just can't remember what combination I was doing at the time, but my guess is that I aged the report and then added paying down CC balances which gave me an additional 10 points.)

No, my other reports are not clean. 

EQ current score is 771. This score was 775 until a CC reported a balance - a brief drop that has been remedied but not yet reflected on myfico.com.  EQ Fico 8 stayed at 760 for 8 months until last month when it increased to 775.  This was likely due to several of my CCs turning one yr old and, to some degree,  one of my 30-day lates automatically dropping off.  The remaining 30-day late should also be gone by now, but I haven't received any alerts on the matter.  Since not all actions are alert-able actions, I won't really know until I pull the 3B.

I also have a state tax lien that is supposely no longer on my EQ CR, but it has yet to show up deleted anywhere.  They are sending an updated CR in 7-10 days.  As of yesterday, my USAA 3B reports still show the tax lien for EQ, so who knows.

TU current score is 791.  This score was 770 since mid-May prior to my state tax lien being removed mid-Oct.  I believe I got a whooping 1 point from an INQ dropping off. The two 30-day lates are also listed on TU - I've requested an EE a couple of days ago, but have yet to see that reflected in any reports I trust.  TU CR had two inquiries listed last month that should be off the CR by now, but again - can't verify just yet as no alerts and no updated 3B pulled for this month yet.

Message 44 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ at 775 with a tax lien anda 30D late reporting?  Wow!  What's the age of that lien??

Message 45 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

I want to get the highest points possible because I will be applying for a mortgage next year and fully expect a 40-45 drop in Fico 8 score. Smiley Surprised  .. and the vain/ocd side of me is digging that perfect 850 - even if it only lasts for a hot minute. Smiley Tongue

Message 46 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

I want to get the highest points possible because I will be applying for a mortgage next year and fully expect a 40-45 drop in Fico 8 score. Smiley Surprised  .. and the vain/ocd side of me is digging that perfect 850 - even if it only lasts for a hot minute. Smiley Tongue

I'd be shocked if a new mortgage dropped it that much, do we have data points on folks > 800 who get a new mortgage and see that type of drop?  Dang!

Message 47 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

Well, I think now that many of us know the game, we know the major difference (other than age of oldest account) between 760 and 850 isn't anything a rational person would specifically do.

Carry a small balance on one credit card instead of $0?  Irrational.

Open a loan that makes absolutely zero sense instead of having all loans and mortgage paid in full?  Irrational.

When I see folks with scores in the high 700s, I think "wow, wonder what their utilization is!" unless they're under the age of 25.  I'm in my early 40s and I kick myself for not gaming earlier.

The more I look at the FICO game, the more I believe that 850 tells a very interesting story.  To get there and stay there, you really can't be in over your head with debt.  It's a good goal to have, moreso than just getting into superprime 760+ territory.

As usual, you make some interesting points.  I certainly would have never figured out the whole credit game if it wasn't for this community!  When it's all said and done, I try to remember one thing:  don't charge more than I can PIF each month and do that AZERO thingy.  

Now that I know it's possible to have credit and not be in debt, I'm guess I'm ok with it.

Message 48 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ at 775 with a tax lien anda 30D late reporting?  Wow!  What's the age of that lien??

The lien was filed Jan/2011.  I don't think it's possible though to get above 739 for EQ mortgage score with a tax lien - atleast not with my profile.  Mine has been sitting at 739 since the dawn of time! LOL.

Message 49 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

I'd be shocked if a new mortgage dropped it that much, do we have data points on folks > 800 who get a new mortgage and see that type of drop?  Dang!

This drop is based on the simulator - which we all know we shouldn't rely on completely... and yet I do. Smiley Sad  Never wanted the simulator to be so wrong in my life as I do in the this case! Smiley Tongue

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.