cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of seeing your score rise or drop without knowing why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tired of seeing your score rise or drop without knowing why?

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
I see..I am wondering if it is possible at all to block all inquiries without my permission. I realize they are soft inquiries, but I swear there are several dozen on my report. And not a one of them is doing me any good. Just checking up on me...

Nope, can't block 'em.  They have what's called "permissible purpose" to pull your report.  They might also be pulling it to see if they want to offer you another product.

It's true that they're not doing you any good, but they're also not doing you any harm.  Anyone else who gets your credit report doesn't even see them.
Message 11 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Soft inquiries by your creditors can also be for the purposes of offering you new cards, loans and etc. that you may qualify for. 
Message 12 of 20
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
I see..I am wondering if it is possible at all to block all inquiries without my permission. I realize they are soft inquiries, but I swear there are several dozen on my report. And not a one of them is doing me any good. Just checking up on me...

Nope, can't block 'em.  They have what's called "permissible purpose" to pull your report.  They might also be pulling it to see if they want to offer you another product.

It's true that they're not doing you any good, but they're also not doing you any harm.  Anyone else who gets your credit report doesn't even see them.

Actually.. you can prevent hards via a "freeze". FYI.. A freeze is not the same as a FA, and only some states allow you to freeze your reports.

"FILE FROZEN DUE TO STATE LEGISLATION" is the comment you see on your CR if you freeze it .

A credit freeze prevents new creditors from seeing a CR unless you authorize a temporary thaw. Prospective (new) creditors only receive a statement saying the file has been frozen.

Current creditors can pull a soft for review, but not a hard inquiry.
Message 13 of 20
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the state laws pertaining to security freezes:

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:

masdeocho wrote:

Actually.. you can prevent hards via a "freeze". FYI.. A freeze is not the same as a FA, and only some states allow you to freeze your reports.

"FILE FROZEN DUE TO STATE LEGISLATION" is the comment you see on your CR if you freeze it .

A credit freeze prevents new creditors from seeing a CR unless you authorize a temporary thaw. Prospective (new) creditors only receive a statement saying the file has been frozen.

Current creditors can pull a soft for review, but not a hard inquiry.

I should have specified that my " 'em " meant soft inquiries.

The law (Fair Credit Reporting Act) requires CRAs to give you a list of everyone who got your credit report.
Message 15 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Tuscani wrote:

Tuscani:

I had an old debt, it's now two years after SOL (7 years in Hawaii) and no longer being reported.  If I put a freeze with cra's could NCO financial still place a hard inq on my cr's? 
Message 16 of 20
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

fused111 wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

Tuscani:

I had an old debt, it's now two years after SOL (7 years in Hawaii) and no longer being reported.  If I put a freeze with cra's could NCO financial still place a hard inq on my cr's? 

Depending on your state, I would say no.
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can choose not to give your social security number on any application to prequalify. That usually stops lenders (not always) from even being able to run your credit.

I love the offers for cc's. The soft promo pulls don't effect your credit score at all!
Message 18 of 20
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
You can choose not to give your social security number on any application to prequalify. That usually stops lenders (not always) from even being able to run your credit.

I love the offers for cc's. The soft promo pulls don't effect your credit score at all!

You could try that.. but a SS# is hardly needed to pull an Inq. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
well, a friend of mine who works with a credit firm, she referred me to this site /www.optoutprescreen.com...... I've did mine, I told her i would spread the word. So, do yourself a favor and do so. It takes about 2 minutes to do (electronically).... Companies will no longer be able to run your credit or anything without your permission. So, no more inquiries out of no where.... Smiley Happy

Message Edited by lil_genuine2004 on 05-31-2007 07:54 AM

I concur with the others...FICO scores appear to bob up and down randomly due to changes in sunspot activity, variations in the price of pork bellies, and the length of Britney Spears' hemline. Soft pulls like you are describing are not responsible.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.