Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To GW or not to GW. That is the question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To GW or not to GW. That is the question

GW = Goodwill letter toask to have old baddies deleted from your credit report.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

This GWs, Can I write this letter to account only that are closed right? Is there some type of format that I need to follow or any documentation I need to send my account provider?

Again, thanks a lot you may have given me some course of action to further clean up my credit report.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can send GW letters to anyone who is listed on your credit report.  New/old, opened/closed, it doesn't matter.  It's  basically asking that as a gesture of goodwill they remove (30, 60, 90 day late or whatever).  This particular account was paid in full and closed, but I have 3 other accounts with Chase, all in good standing. Generally speaking though, from what I have read, if the account is closed they will just wipe it off your CR (which may happen faster than an open account needing an adjustment). 

I can't seem to find them right now, but there are example letters posted in this board as well as all across the internet.  If you run a search for "Goodwill letter" or "GW Letter", you should find some decent examples.  But as with any example letter, it is best to modify it as much as possible while still getting the basic point across.

Message Edited by JR2475 on 05-01-2009 10:37 AM
Message 13 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Check out the "Frequently Requested Thread" thread and the "Helpful Threads" thread in my siggy below. There are templates that you can adapt for your use, along with useful comments.

For instance, do NOT send a GW with a demand for proof of receipt. This will put up anyone's defenses, and you want them to have warm fuzzies toward you, not hostility.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.