Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To use or not to use....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To use or not to use....

Oops! I'll try to get it right this time.

I have recently paid off all of my debts (including my home) except for a loan I have for a 1/2 acre lot and a very old school loan. But i no longer have any credit card or department store card debt.  I recently accidently used one of the credit cards for an online purchase but paid it out within a few days when i realized what happened.  It seems consequently to that action that my score has gone up another 6 point.  I am at 761!   So my question is this, was it the use of that card and immediate payment that made the score jump?  If so should i continue to use one or more of my credit cards and just pay the balance in full each month?  Which should i use then, the one with the highest limit or the one with the lowest rate?  I would love to hit 800 at least for one day of my life and I really do want to live debt free and hope to begin operating on a cash basis only. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on this matter.  Thx.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: To use or not to use....

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently paid off all of my debts (including my home) except for a loan I have for a 1/2 acre lot and a very old school loan. But i no longer have any credit card or department store card debt.  I recently accidently used one of the credit cards for an online purchase but paid it out within a few days when i realized what happened.  It seems consequently to that action that my score has gone up another 6 point.  I am at 761!   So my question is this, was it the use of that card and immediate payment that made the score jump?  If so should i continue to use one or more of my credit cards and just pay the balance in full each month?  Which should i use then, the one with the highest limit or the one with the lowest rate?  I would love to hit 800 at least for one day of my life and I really do want to live debt free and hope to begin operating on a cash basis only. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on this matter.  Thx.

Presumptively we are talking about a 761 FICO score. 

1) For optimal FICO scoring you do need at least one revolving TL reporting a balance. It can be a very small balance. FICO scoring measures how well you use your credit. If every TL reports zero you aren't usiing it.

2) You also need to use each of your CC's at least once per quarter. Unused CC's may be subject to closing by the issuer for disuse. There is no worse feeling than pulling out that CC you saved for a rainy day and finding out it has been closed by the issuer without notice to you for lack of having been used.

You can achieve both 1) and 2) without accumulating any debt.

On the other hand once you have achieved minor gains from tweaking your use the only other changes you will see are those which follow the aging of your accounts. This is a long, slow upward trend as long as you continue to maintain good credit use practices.

A 760+ FICO is considered high achiever status. There is little point in going to extended lengths to drive your score higher, excepting perhaps the bragging rights that come along with making it to 800+.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Message 2 of 11
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Clk, welcome!

Sounds like you are doing very well.  It is NOT a bad thing to use credit cards, as long as you are responsible with them.  If you listed more information about your cards (how many you have, where from, CL on each one), more specific advice could be given.  However, generally, you should allow one card to report a balance and the others should be used once a month (or once every other month) and paid off right away.  The one that DOES report can still be PIF though, just pay when you get the bill, then charge something small before the statement cuts (I do it like this:  my bill is the 28th, so I pay in full that bill, then I charge something small (gas, groceries, etc, under $100) and then that amount is reported to the CRA on the statement that comes on the 5th...thus I pay no interest but I'm "using" the card.)  By doing this, it doesn't matter which card you use, since you'll be PIF (and ideally, you'd use them all and pay them all off with no interest accuring) and you'll see a score boost since you'll be using the cards.

Also, consider adding a reward card into the mix, it'll give you cash back so you'll bascially be paid to use their card!!

CC aren't the enemy and cash isn't king... good luck!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  After paying minimum or only a few dollars more each month, it is so great having them paid that i have been afraid to use them thinking i might fall back into old habits.  too easy to think buy now pay later and later never comes.  but oh, it does, and with a vengeance. i think i will try your suggestion and use them all once every other month.  i could use one or two this month and pay it before the statement date and then use another couple the next month.  by the way i have 5CC with limits of 300, 400, 1000, 1000, and 4000.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you too for your advice.  forgive my ignorance but what does TL stand for? also please excuse me if i sounded as if i wanted to brag now or at any time.  i didn't mean it that way.  i have lived in debt for so long.  and i have had some ugly scores.  at one point i couldn't get a loan even with my dad co-signing and he had his own oilfield business and lots of money! the number to me only makes me feel that i am at last being responsible with debt. and as far as it being any higher, it probably never will be.  it is just that i never thought it would be where it is now and wanted to see just how far it could go. i aplogize if i sounded boastful.
Message 5 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
thank you too for your advice.  forgive my ignorance but what does TL stand for? also please excuse me if i sounded as if i wanted to brag now or at any time.  i didn't mean it that way.  i have lived in debt for so long.  and i have had some ugly scores.  at one point i couldn't get a loan even with my dad co-signing and he had his own oilfield business and lots of money! the number to me only makes me feel that i am at last being responsible with debt. and as far as it being any higher, it probably never will be.  it is just that i never thought it would be where it is now and wanted to see just how far it could go. i aplogize if i sounded boastful.

TL = Trade Line

No worries. It's a great achievement. Be happy!

BTW, you are being responsible with credit...

Message 6 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would continue to use your credit cards as needed.  For me at least, I do not like to carrying a large of amount cash around. I use my credit card or my debit card to make the purchase and I pay the  ceredit card balance off in full each month when I receive the bill.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Peach, can you elaborate a little more on this strategy?  I have 3 CCs that I want to rotate through. They have a CL of 20k, 4k, and 6k.  As an example, one recent statement for the CL$4k card says the period covered is June 9- July 8 2009.  The due date for payment is Aug 3 2009.  What date should I PIF and what window of time do I have to make the small purchase on the card assuming it's this one I want to report this month?  Based on the fact people with high FICOs seem to maintain a utilizatoin ratio of around 7-8%, should the maxium I charge for the extra reporting charge be no more than $320 (8% of $4000)?  The card with a CL$20k has the best interest rate.  Is it ok if I use that as my primary and then just use the other two like once a quarter?  Or should I rotate through all three, one new one every month?  Thanks for your time.
Message 8 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Peach, can you elaborate a little more on this strategy?  I have 3 CCs that I want to rotate through. They have a CL of 20k, 4k, and 6k.  As an example, one recent statement for the CL$4k card says the period covered is June 9- July 8 2009.  The due date for payment is Aug 3 2009.  What date should I PIF and what window of time do I have to make the small purchase on the card assuming it's this one I want to report this month?  Based on the fact people with high FICOs seem to maintain a utilizatoin ratio of around 7-8%, should the maxium I charge for the extra reporting charge be no more than $320 (8% of $4000)?  The card with a CL$20k has the best interest rate.  Is it ok if I use that as my primary and then just use the other two like once a quarter?  Or should I rotate through all three, one new one every month?  Thanks for your time.

Best UTIL is > 0 and < 9 and a low as possible. Balances/payments have to be timed to work with both statement dates an reportings dates, which may not be the same. One small balance will do.

The purpose of rotating the accounts is to keep your cards active so they are not closed for disuse.

Message 9 of 11
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Honorary,

Creditwherecreditisdue answered you partially but I thought I'd throw in my own reply =)

For the dates you gave me, you should PIF on 8/1 (I always give it a few days to make sure nothing gets messed up and you get socked with a "late").  Then, between 8-3 and 8-8, charge up to 7% util (although really, you can charge up to 9% and that's ok) and whatever that amount you charged is will be what is reported.

However, the other trick is that you want to have less than 50% of your TL reporting.  So if you have 3 cards AND a mortgage AND a car loan...that's 5 items and you would already have the mortgage and the car loan reporting, meaning NO credit card should report ANY balance (although that is debatable, but if you do have this situation, try to keep util <3%).

Also keep in mind - if you always PIF the interest rate does not matter.  Therefore, use the card with the best reward or whatever one you like best (unless you are worried about not always being able to PIF, in which case the lowest interest rate is the best to use).  I don't know what banks the cards you have are with and some big banks like to see you use their cards more than once every 3 months so I'd probably use and PIF immediately something small on two cards and use the above strategy for the third card.

Hope that makes sense, feel free to post a follow-up question and someone will be able to help if I forget to look for two weeks ;-)

Message Edited by Peach8321 on 09-08-2009 08:46 AM
Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.