Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many accounts

tag
cantretire
Contributor

Too many accounts

Hi.  One of the things that my report states is hurting my score (not badly though) is too many accounts.  Trans reads 13 and Equifax reads 15.  Thre of these accounts were closed  in 2004, 2006 and 2008, but are still listed.   There are 3 tiny cards that I never use that I'm considering closing.  They total about $600 in credit out of a total credit of about $35,000.  Should I bother?  I might think it was worth it in 10 years to have them drop off.

2/10/12:

TransUnion - 759

Equifax - 751

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Too many accounts

@cantretire wrote:

Hi.  One of the things that my report states is hurting my score (not badly though) is too many accounts.  Trans reads 13 and Equifax reads 15.  Thre of these accounts were closed  in 2004, 2006 and 2008, but are still listed.   There are 3 tiny cards that I never use that I'm considering closing.  They total about $600 in credit out of a total credit of about $35,000.  Should I bother?  I might think it was worth it in 10 years to have them drop off.

That's interesting. I have 36 accounts on my TU report and 26 on my EQ but have never been told that is too many. Does it perhaps say that you have "too many accounts with balances"?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

+1.  I have about 35 accounts on each credit report, & I don't have that ding either.  Just "too many accounts with balances".

Message 3 of 6
cantretire
Contributor

Nope.  Just 'too many accounts'.  Only one had a small balance on it.  1% of my total credit.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They always list something. My recent credit pull said this. 

030 - TIME SINCE MOST RECENT ACCOUNT OPENING IS TOO SHORT (6 months)
005 - TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES (3 of 7)
012 - LENGTH OF TIME REVOLVING ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED (AAOA 5 years not sure how they got this one)
003 - PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH (no clue)
FA - INQUIRIES IMPACTED THE CREDIT SCORE (5 total)

You can have a perfect score and something would show like the listed above, and has little if any impact on your score. CRA = glass half empty.

TBC

Message 5 of 6
cantretire
Contributor

Well, I guess there's nothing to worry about after all.  Thank you everyone!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.