TransUnion FICO score vs. Equifax FICO score

tag
suvcredit

TransUnion FICO score vs. Equifax FICO score

I have a question.

On MyFICO.com, there are 2 different FICO scores

TransUnion FICO score

Equifax FICO score

I simply thought there was only 1 type of FICO score from the websidt MyFICO.com

When you look at the web site, it is indicates " YOUR FICO SCORE" then under it is has a score. This is the advertising score you see on the front page of the website. It shows the score of 707.

However, when you go to buy the FICO score your given a choice between TransUnion or Equifax. Then it reads "Your TransUnion FICO score"

I have read in many places that lenders will use the Equifax FICO score.

So what are your thoughts on this? TransUnion or Equifax?

By the way, here are my scores

TransUnion : 628

Equifax : 639

Looking to buy a house next year so I am really watching all this.

Hope someone can clear this up for me.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: TransUnion FICO score vs. Equifax FICO score

Hi and welcome. There are 3 major credit reporting agencies in the US: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. All 3 rely on Fair Isaac Co. to generate a FICO score from credit reports for you the customer. Each agency generates a credit report for you and each of those reports will be typically slightly different. Different lenders go to different  credit reporting agencies to get scores. For example American Express typically pulls scores from Experian. The myfico website offers for sale FICO scores from 2 of the 3 major credit reporting agencies. The answer to your question is that both your TU and EQ fico scores are available and it is important that you know what both are. This is because you can't be sure of which credit reporting agency score a potential lender will pull when evaluating your credit. Some will actually pull 2 or all three. As far as which one is more important, it is hard to say because results will vary. Typically, your FICO scores will be similar from agency to agency. When evaluating a person for a mortgage application, sometimes lenders will pull all 3 scores and use the middle score when evaluating an application. 

This website does not offer and Experian FICO score for sale. This score used to be available for the public to purchase but currently it is not available except for members of a credit union in Pennsylvania. 

Keep reading elsewhere on this forum for more info on FICO scores. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

P.S. several mortgage lenders have a threshold of around 640 so I would recommend working on your scores a little..

Message 3 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@suvcredit wrote:

I have a question.

On MyFICO.com, there are 2 different FICO scores

TransUnion FICO score

Equifax FICO score

I simply thought there was only 1 type of FICO score from the websidt MyFICO.com

When you look at the web site, it is indicates " YOUR FICO SCORE" then under it is has a score. This is the advertising score you see on the front page of the website. It shows the score of 707.

However, when you go to buy the FICO score your given a choice between TransUnion or Equifax. Then it reads "Your TransUnion FICO score"

I have read in many places that lenders will use the Equifax FICO score.

So what are your thoughts on this? TransUnion or Equifax?

By the way, here are my scores

TransUnion : 628

Equifax : 639

Looking to buy a house next year so I am really watching all this.

Hope someone can clear this up for me.

There are multiple true FICO scores.  There are 3 major Credit Reporting Agencies...Transunion, Equifax and Experian.  Each has a different set of scoring models, depending on the industry for which the score is generated.  For example, there's a "credit card enhanced" score, an "auto (automobile) enhanced" score, etc. 

For TU here, the model is TU98, an old version.  There's also TU04 and TU08.  For EQ there's Beacon 5.0 and Beacon 9.0 scores. 

For more information, check out the stickies at the top of the page, there's lots of valuable info here under this topic of the forum, as well as other forum topics.  Since you're interested in buying a house, check out the MORTGAGE forum as well.

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Hi suvcredit and welcome to the forums!!!! There is actually 4 major CRA's Transunion, Equifax, Experian and Innovis. 

The TU Fico you get here is TU98 many lenders use TU04 now a days. 

The EQ is Beacon 5.0 which is used a lot by vendors. 

Message 5 of 8
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Hi suvcredit and welcome to the forums!!!! There is actually 4 major CRA's Transunion, Equifax, Experian and Innovis. 

The TU Fico you get here is TU98 many lenders use TU04 now a days. 

The EQ is Beacon 5.0 which is used a lot by vendors. 

Innovis being a major CRA is open to debate. I pulled my Innovis report a few months ago and it didn't include a lot of info that the other 3 did. For the purposes of someone just starting out, Innovis is not essential.

Message 6 of 8
cmomito
New Visitor

My equi is 577,tu is 627 adifferentnd ex is 713..why ??? So
Message 7 of 8
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@cmomito wrote:
My equi is 577,tu is 627 adifferentnd ex is 713..why ??? So

There are 49 different versions of FICO scores. Click my sig for more information.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.