Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion the Worst?

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

TransUnion the Worst?

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, but I notice that typically TU gives the lowest score of the top 3 bureaus. Seems like they are the "black hat" of CRA's for most people. Am I correct in this observation? My scores are in the 700's, but TU is always a few points lower even though they have the exact same info as the other two.

Maybe I need to "go ask the owl"? Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TransUnion the Worst?

There are variances in how all 3 bureaus pick various FICO score areas to measure.

So 3 identical reports won't give you 3 identical scores because of those different areas.

My TU was higher than EX and EQ many times in the past with identical reports.  Today it's the lowest because it's the only derogatory one.

List all 3 of your bureaus in a reply and list how many inquiries you have on each.  I'm curious.

Message 2 of 16
marty56
Super Contributor

TU is seems sensitive to # CCs reporting a balance.  Also my 3 CRs have different info on them which also could explain differences.  

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

In my case, Equifax is the most sensitive, even though it's my highest score. I get dinged when more than one card reports a balance. And I got dinged a point each time I closed a card this year, possibly because that caused me to have a higher percentage of cards reporting a balance.

Experian has consistently been my lowest score.

Message 4 of 16
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

TU for me is always my highest score even sometimes by just a few points. Equifax seems the one that I always have trouble figuring out their scoring on. Reports are the same on all 3 but EQ is always lower than the other scores.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone's feelings on this subject will be influenced strongly by which bureau data results in their top score (and lowest score).  Almost by definition, 1/3 of the population is going to agree with the OP, while 2/3 are going to disagree.  This same thread could be started with either of the other 2 major CRA names and the responses would likely be very similar, just from different members.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ you're on the money with that one ☺ I think there's somebody out there who would agree with any of those, be it substituting EQ or EX or leaving it as TU I think we all have one of em as our own special nemesis lol (heck, maybe even 2 of them)

Mine's more like @Aprile421, TU is always my highest, EQ is always my lowest (I have an extra inquiry and 2 extra collections on EQ though which explains that), and for some reason although all the information on my TU and EX is exactly the same the scores fluctuate, sometimes EX is a little lower than TU, other times they're exactly the same, TU is never lower though - at the very worst it'll be tied as my best score

Not sure the reasoning behind any of this (and actually now that i think of it that's all based on vantagescores - I haven't had a fico score long enough to uncover the underlying patterns yet - but come to think of it my FICO EX is currently higher than my FICO TU... eh, either way it's all a bit mysterious to me lol but maybe with enough data points somebody'll be able to figure it all out 🤔)
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian is the most indicative of my actual credit history.  Most complete.

Transunion is second place, but has a disputed Derog on there that I have been fighting for almost a year.  (both EX and EQ removed it)

Equifax is my only clean report, but they do not list my legitimate derog that Experian and TU do (not the one mentioned in the TU blurb above)

Fortunately that derog will fall off in about 15 months.  The one I am fighting with TU over is relatively new (2 years old)

My scores reflect this, though EX is my lowest by a little due to having the majority of my most recent inquiries.  In 3-6 months it should jump back ahead of TU.

Message 8 of 16
marty56
Super Contributor

Interesting result is that my TU FICO 9 is 826 while my EQ, EX Fico 9 is 850.  I'm not complaning but as far as I know I don't fit in a category that would be affected but the new scoring method.  I still supect TU is sensitive to # CCs reporting a balance but who knows.  LOL anyone want to have all their CC's report a $1 balance and see what their scores do?  I'll pass.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 16
gsxraddict
Valued Member

I've never lost a dispute with TU and my credit report is perfect with them because of it.

I love TransUnion, all my disputes were done through CK

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.