Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion vs Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion vs Equifax

So after two years of rebuilding my credit, my Equifax is in the low 700s and my TransUnion has actually gotten WORSE!  It is 65 points lower than my Equifax.  There is no difference in the two.  Everything is the same.  Thoughts??  Super frustrating and I have no idea what to do.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TransUnion vs Equifax

Obvious questions to start:

Where did you get your scores?

Did you get them on the same day?

ETA....I noticed your last post was from last year...do you still have that HELOC and what is the limit on that HELOC?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for delayed response... been traveling.  Got my scores from MyFico.  I have no problem getting approved for credit-- had to open a new cc for work purposes and got immediately approved by Amex for a $10k + credit limit.  

I still have the HELOC-- will have it until I sell my house.  Its just the way my mortgage was done.  After further investigation-- TU is still counting it as revolving and EQ is not. Clearly that is the problem.  I guess I could look at refinancing-- but seems kind of stupid considering I have no intention of keeping the house, and I would only do it to roll that credit line into a traditional mortgage.

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I still have the HELOC-- will have it until I sell my house.  Its just the way my mortgage was done.  After further investigation-- TU is still counting it as revolving and EQ is not. Clearly that is the problem.  I guess I could look at refinancing-- but seems kind of stupid considering I have no intention of keeping the house, and I would only do it to roll that credit line into a traditional mortgage.

I had a theory but it won't work, so I'll try another. Each CRA and each FICO version used within the given CRAs will treat HELOCs differently. It's my understanding, though, that both TU and EQ as found on here will factor in the HELOC. I think EQ will ignore the balance and the limit of the HELOC on EQ if that limit is above $50k, though TU will ignore it after $30k. Unfortunately, this doesn't help to explain the score difference. If factored in TU, then it should be factored into EQ...if reporting correctly. Does EQ list a limit?

BTW, I do know that this version of TU will treat no limit cards a bit different which could explain the score difference (with all else being equal). TU will take the high balance and the balance and factor that into utilization (e.g. an Amex charge card), while EQ does not.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.