Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion Confusion

Ok. So I'm trying ro rebuild my credit. I ruined in when I was 19. I improved it about 8 years ago just to tank it again by obtaining an auto loan and other loans for people I thought I could trust. Anyway, so now I'm trying to get back on track AGAIN. I've been doing a lot of research and have learned a lot. However, this Transunion FICO situation is really confusing me. I understand the different models that can be used. I understand it's almost impossible to know which version was used. So I can appreciate a small discrepancy between the scores. However, the two numbers I recently received are significantly different. I was declined for a Walmart card. GEMB sent me a letter that listed a credit score of 422 but I pulled the TU here today and it's 592. That's 170 points. Now the letter did mention "we also used a credit score developed by us in making our credit decision." It also stated "score ranges from a low of 300 to a high of 620." Is this some different type of scoring system? T-mobile pulled TU and approved me with no depost so I know the 422 can't be accuate...they may be easy but I don't think they're that easy.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Transunion Confusion

Even though Walmart gives you access to TU08, they use their own credit scoring system to base you on for approval.

In other words, it's probably a FAKO. I don't have experience with GE nor Walmart, so I'm going based on past reader experiences lol

I'd say the one you pulled here is much more accurate, even if it's just the TU '98.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. Their score is proprietary for their approvals only and goes to 630, give or take, IIRC.

Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok. So I'm trying ro rebuild my credit. I ruined in when I was 19. I improved it about 8 years ago just to tank it again by obtaining an auto loan and other loans for people I thought I could trust. Anyway, so now I'm trying to get back on track AGAIN. I've been doing a lot of research and have learned a lot. However, this Transunion FICO situation is really confusing me. I understand the different models that can be used. I understand it's almost impossible to know which version was used. So I can appreciate a small discrepancy between the scores. However, the two numbers I recently received are significantly different. I was declined for a Walmart card. GEMB sent me a letter that listed a credit score of 422 but I pulled the TU here today and it's 592. That's 170 points. Now the letter did mention "we also used a credit score developed by us in making our credit decision." It also stated "score ranges from a low of 300 to a high of 620." Is this some different type of scoring system? T-mobile pulled TU and approved me with no depost so I know the 422 can't be accuate...they may be easy but I don't think they're that easy.

i got a 422 score from the utility company... they claimed it was EX...  I called them up and was like, there is no way that my EX score is 422, Dude I'm in the high 600s!

Its possible they used an internal scoring system in addition to EX.. I was late paying my bill last summer. I was renting a place with poor insulation and literally my electric bill was 900 one month, because of 600 in charges, and then they wanted an additional 300 deposit... seriously? I ended up dumping the place with the help of my lawyer and got my 1500 deposit back as well. They had sewage in the front yard.. go figure!

Ya, we moved to a new house, closed on 1/24...  My highest utility bill so far has been 154... Take that sleezy landlord!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.