Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transunion drop

Great responses from everyone.  One other important point... with CC utilization, FICO always rounds percentages up.

That means a person could have a total credit limit of $50,000 and have only $10 report one month.  Although that is almost 0% (0.02%) it will be rounded up by FICO to 1%.

There is no scoring advantage in that situation from having a much larger amount report (e.g. $2500 = 5%).  $10 is just as good.

That said, extremely tiny balances (like $2-3) can be rendered as $0.  $5 is completely safe, however.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

You don't need to do AZEO every month unless you have an important application coming up. However, it might be useful to try it just to see how high your score will get. After that, try leaving balances on two cards to see how much it might matter. Another month, you could try a slightly larger balance. Don't change up too much at once. There'll be too many variables involved and the effects of your experimenting will be obscured.

This is solid advice but one thing to be aware of is that you never know when your current lenders pull SP on your report so maintaining your best FICO score has one possible benefit: auto-CLIs.  It's also important to know that just because FICO is a snapshot of your credit today you can't ignore that lenders may be keeping track of SP history in order to extend you credit in the form of requested CLIs and auto CLIs.  If they see you consistently keep a high score over time, you may warrant auto-CLIs.

There are a lot of folks who complain about never getting CLI LUV but I am always curious how high their utilization is over time and if they realize that lenders not only can see that today, but they are allowed to keep an internal history of customers SP data.  They can't make a decision against a customer based on old reports, but they can avoid making a positive decision based on it.

Capital One is known to put a person in a certain tier with a new card and never let them out of that tier without reapplying for a replacement line.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i didn't mean to say I would carry a balance. I use my two points cards almost daily for things like gas, groceries, bills, etc. As soon as the charges hit my chase app I just pay them off immediately. I will make sure I leave a few hundred on one so I will show AZEO. Once the statement is due I will pay it down to zero so I don't pay interest. I really appreciate all of the feedback.
I am applying for a personal loan through my credit union for some home improvements and they use TU 8. The rate for 720 and above is 4.99%. 719 and below is 11.99%. My TU score dropped from 733 to 729 to 717 in the last 2 weeks due to in large part from what I can tell is the zero balances. Once I get the loan I can go back to paying off my cards immediately.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just made a free Google Doc spreadsheet for anyone to enter in their accounts and balances and it will tell you exactly how to juggle balances.  Not sure if I can share google links here?

Mods please remove if against the rules.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E-bRrVpw0UrQfOsLdox4ocwFQBbuvgXjX-KW5NKgiiI/edit?usp=sharing

Message 14 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

You don't need to do AZEO every month unless you have an important application coming up. However, it might be useful to try it just to see how high your score will get. After that, try leaving balances on two cards to see how much it might matter. Another month, you could try a slightly larger balance. Don't change up too much at once. There'll be too many variables involved and the effects of your experimenting will be obscured.

This is solid advice but one thing to be aware of is that you never know when your current lenders pull SP on your report so maintaining your best FICO score has one possible benefit: auto-CLIs.  It's also important to know that just because FICO is a snapshot of your credit today you can't ignore that lenders may be keeping track of SP history in order to extend you credit in the form of requested CLIs and auto CLIs.  If they see you consistently keep a high score over time, you may warrant auto-CLIs.

You don't want to experiment with anything that's a known score-killer. Smiley Happy For instance, we already know that a maxed out card is bad; there's no reason to find out what doing that will do to your score. Plus, there's the possibility that a maxed out card will spook lenders.

For me (but not necessarily for others), I've learned that two cards reporting dings my Equifax score by five points. That's fine. My next test was to increase my balances fairly significantly. No ding for that. I increased them some more and got a six-point ding on TransUnion and two-point dings on the other two bureaus. But my scores are still fine. Next, I'll reduce the balance on the next card to report other than zero to see if the points come back. The bottom line is that none of these score shifts are going to hurt me.

I became a little concerned about AZEO on a regular basis after Capital One adverse action on a few members for "balances on Capital One cards too low" and "balances on non-Capital One cards too low." That bit of news makes me feel more comfortable with a second card reporting a balance. However, if one has less than five cards, I'd think that one card with a balance would be fine. I'll do AZEO again just to see where my score tops out at a given time. But I'm not going to aim for it all the time.

Message 15 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i didn't mean to say I would carry a balance. I use my two points cards almost daily for things like gas, groceries, bills, etc. As soon as the charges hit my chase app I just pay them off immediately. I will make sure I leave a few hundred on one so I will show AZEO. Once the statement is due I will pay it down to zero so I don't pay interest. I really appreciate all of the feedback.
I am applying for a personal loan through my credit union for some home improvements and they use TU 8. The rate for 720 and above is 4.99%. 719 and below is 11.99%. My TU score dropped from 733 to 729 to 717 in the last 2 weeks due to in large part from what I can tell is the zero balances. Once I get the loan I can go back to paying off my cards immediately.

Cool. Sometimes people think they need to carry a balance and pay interest. So the advice typically comes up in most threads like this. And it tends to be repeated because it's so important. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.