Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to beat timeframe of reporting to credit bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to beat timeframe of reporting to credit bureaus

I am considering a balance transfer to CC # 2 that would cost me about $50 in fees (but a 15-month 0% APR on balance transfers period).

The balance that I'm transferring are some work expenses that I will not be reimbursed for until after my CC # 1 credit card's closing period. I want to avoid CC #1 that I charged the expenses on from reporting the $1K balance (only $3.5K credit limit). Since CC # 2 that I want to transfer the balance to is a new card (approved today), the closing period will actually be after I am reimbursed, so I would avoid CC#2 reporting a balance.

At the same time, CC # 2 is adding a $2K credit limit which would help with my utilization %.

Thoughts? Is it worth it to pay $50 to try to "time" the system? Or is it a waste of time?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to beat timeframe of reporting to credit bureaus

Waste of time, and further I always want big purchases that I'm paying off next month to be reported.  "Hey every other lender in the future, grant me credit and I'll make you money!"

What they don't know won't hurt them, much Smiley Happy.  Anyway a high balance is just free marketing especially if it's being reimbursed is my thinking.

        
Message 2 of 4
Aahz
Established Contributor

Forget it being a waste of time.  It's a waste of money.  You're basically paying $50 to have a slightly better FICO score for 30 days.  Unless you're planning some major refi before CC#1's second statement reports, I don't see the point of spending the money.

Message 3 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP what cards do you have and what are their limits?

If you pay the $50 for the short term money, the annual interest rate is roughly 12x that BT Fee rate. If it's a 4% fee, calculates out to a 48% effective APR. ouch.

But some other cards might have a no-fee BT. Thus the request for the list.

Still, my philosophy is to let balances report naturally. It does reflect on your CR, and will be "big money usage" as your file is looked at in the future. This might prevent AA by certain CCC if they see you have a history of reporting significant balances and no problems with paying.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.