Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to buy a first time home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to buy a first time home

I checked our credit.. scores of 679-686  gave us a D.... we have 2 accounts that are over half of credit limit.. if i pay them both down under half owed.. how much will that bring up my credit?....
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to buy a first time home

What are the balances and what are the CLs?

The score you saw was likely a Vantage score. Lenders don't use it. I'd ignore it and try pulling your FICO scores for EQ and TU to see the real deal. Your FICO scores could be lower or higher. Unfortunately, EX no longer allows consumers to pull their own score.
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What are the balances and what are the CLs?

The score you saw was likely a Vantage score. Lenders don't use it. I'd ignore it and try pulling your FICO scores for EQ and TU to see the real deal. Your FICO scores could be lower or higher. Unfortunately, EX no longer allows consumers to pull their own score.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance on one is 4224.00 paying 1750.00 on the first.. with a credit of 4800.00  ... the second one is 5259.00.. also paying 1750.00 on the first .. with a credit limit of 6325.00.   and i got my credit score from Transunion
Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you were to check your FICO score, you may find a 35 to 40 point increase.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With my credit score being at 686 and 679... what are my chances at buying a house?... hopefully i can get my points higher before i try in June.
Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

chollyalways wrote:
With my credit score being at 686 and 679... what are my chances at buying a house?... hopefully i can get my points higher before i try in June.

Good if they were FICO scores. I'd hazard a guess and say that your FICO scores are lower. Lenders don't use the scores from TU and the score range goes from 501-990. FICO's range from 300-850. Before considering buying, try pulling your FICO score to at least see. I can't recount how many times I've read posters assume that a non-FICO score is close to the real deal, only to app and get denied or get stuck with a higher interest rate because their actual score is lower.

BTW, a great resource is Credit Scoring 101 .

Message 6 of 7
jackg
Established Contributor

When you say that your scores came from Transunion is it possible you mean True Credit? Either way they are not the FICO scores used by lenders
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.