Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Different Equifax Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Different Equifax Scores

So I'm trying out different credit monitoring services and have a question.  the myFICO EQ score is 638 but I also signed up for equifax complete directly on the equifax website and received a score of 678.  All of the information on both credit reports are the same and I am wondering why the difference.  Also, if a lender pulls an equifax credit score for me, which one will they get?  If they receive the myFICO equifax score, why would equifax give people that go to their site directly a score that they wouldn't report to lenders?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two Different Equifax Scores

Hi xero - and welcome!

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm trying out different credit monitoring services and have a question.  the myFICO FICO EQ score is 638 The myFICO website provides you with a FICO score

but I also signed up for equifax complete directly on the equifax website and received a score of 678.  Equifax complete is a non-FICO (we call it a FAKO) credit score.  You can also putchase a FICO score on the Equifax website but you have to hunt very hard to find it.  Always look for the FICO trademark to know you are purchasing a FICO score.

All of the information on both credit reports are the same and I am wondering why the difference.  Also, if a lender pulls an equifax credit score for me, which one will they get?  Lenders pull FICO scores.   

If they receive the myFICO equifax score, why would equifax give people that go to their site directly a score that they wouldn't report to lenders?  They sell their own "store" brand of credit scores to consumers to make money, pure and simple.  Lenders, with very very very very few exceptions, pull FICO.  

FAKO scores, even while based on the same credit report, are built on different algorithms, so they create different scores.  Pull a FICO to see what your lenders see.

Thanks!

Xeroshogun,

See llecs' Credit Monitoring Service Guide for info on different websites and the scores they sell.  Come here if you would like to pull a FICO score for Equifax or TransUnion.  And you can always google "myfico discount codes" before purchasing a score - always helps to save a few cents.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great information!  I tried finding another post on the topic before I posted but to no avail.  Thanks for the link and clearing everything up for me

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's like going into a retaurant and ordering a Coke (TM), and they bring you a glass of "Mom & Pop's" cola.  Often, they dot even tell you it isnt Coke.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.