Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UGH. More FICO confusion. TU FICO dropped

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

UGH. More FICO confusion. TU FICO dropped

I just updated my TU FICO. Previous update was 5/19/12 and my score 772. Today (6/6/12), it's 753. Smiley Surprised

Whart changed? Almost nothing. Same accounts,  Same Inquiries, Same accounts opened in past year....Same everything. 

Minor changes? Yes. 5/19/12, I had 4 accounts with balances and now I have 5. I left $1 on my Citi card to show a balance on my more recent report whereas it was zero on the 5/19/12 version.  That's the difference there. Other than that, my total debt is down because of monthly payments on my 2 loans. 

Under FICO Summary, the only difference is that the amount of new debt is "Bad" on the more recent report and "Not Good" on the 5/19/12 version. On the scale, more recent report has marked that I am seeking new credit on the negative side whereas on the older report doesn't say that. Mind you, my inquiries are the same. My only guess is that the most recent inquiry from 5/3/12 was on the 5/19/12 report but didn't figure into the score because it was too soon?? I'm guessing here. Also, the older report says I have been making my payments on time on the good side of the scale but it's not there on the newer report. YET, the payments are all on time on both. Nothing happened in reality to cause that change. 

So confusing. I just don't get it. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: UGH. More FICO confusion. TU FICO dropped

@ztnjpv wrote:

I just updated my TU FICO. Previous update was 5/19/12 and my score 772. Today (6/6/12), it's 753. Smiley Surprised

Whart changed? Almost nothing. Same accounts,  Same Inquiries, Same accounts opened in past year....Same everything. 

Minor changes? Yes. 5/19/12, I had 4 accounts with balances and now I have 5. I left $1 on my Citi card to show a balance on my more recent report whereas it was zero on the 5/19/12 version.  That's the difference there. Other than that, my total debt is down because of monthly payments on my 2 loans. 

Under FICO Summary, the only difference is that the amount of new debt is "Bad" on the more recent report and "Not Good" on the 5/19/12 version. On the scale, more recent report has marked that I am seeking new credit on the negative side whereas on the older report doesn't say that. Mind you, my inquiries are the same. My only guess is that the most recent inquiry from 5/3/12 was on the 5/19/12 report but didn't figure into the score because it was too soon?? I'm guessing here. Also, the older report says I have been making my payments on time on the good side of the scale but it's not there on the newer report. YET, the payments are all on time on both. Nothing happened in reality to cause that change. 

So confusing. I just don't get it. 

Did you AAoA possibly hit a milestone since last month ?    I'm guessing that perhaps the change in number of accounts with balances could have been a factor in your score decrease, but the May 3 inquiry would have affected both the May 19 and June 6 reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Pizzadude:

Did you AAoA possibly hit a milestone since last month ?    I'm guessing that perhaps the change in number of accounts with balances could have been a factor in your score decrease, but the May 3 inquiry would have affected both the May 19 and June 6 reports.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have since called myfico support and the lady said that it's possible that my latest inquiries from Capital One on 5/3/12 were present on my 5/19/12 report but factoring into the score yet and are now a factor on today's report. She said, while looking at info that we cannot see on the consumer side, that the order of my "reason codes" changed and that my inquiries had a higher value at the beginning of June than during May (monthly update of some kind). IOW, the order of the factors changed and the factors that are higher on the list count more and I now have a negative factor figuring more prominently than in May. She also suspects that the combination of this and other vague factors may have aligned to "re-bucket" (re-segmentation) me with people of a stronger profile. 

I am actually disputing the tri-pull from Capital One on 5/3/12 because I didn't authorize the HP. I had sent in a letter with supporting info to have a forceful recon on my denial for a card on 3/21/12. But a recon doesn't implicitly authorize a new HP, IMO. I even demonstrate that Capital One's letters sent to me before and after the second round of HPs use the same application reference number. Therefore, it wasn't a new application. I expect to win that dispute and have the 5/3/12 inquiries removed. My score should bounce back up from that.

I also recently disputed the presence of an AU account for my wife's new credit card from 2/12, which she removed me from at my request over a month ago. It is still on my TU but not on my EQ. It's lowering my average age of accounts. 

We'll see what happens. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading many posts on this site and else where, the conclusion is you need to have low debt to have the score improve and also the number of cards reporting the balance should also be low. In your case you had 4 cards reporitng balances and now you have 5 cards. The additional card with balance is what has bought down your score. Try to show balance in less then 4 cards next time and see your score going up.

Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

IMinor changes? Yes. 5/19/12, I had 4 accounts with balances and now I have 5.

IMHO the 5th account.  TU hates # accounts with balances.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.