Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected jump (28 points)

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Unexpected jump (28 points)

I'm just learning about FICO scoring, so after getting a 28 jump on TU (Discover statement), I took some time to check what changed from last month to this one.

I know a card that was at $0 for several months now closed with some balance on 11/10. I expected a score drop because of this. I don't know if this made to the score on 11/12 but maybe not.

I have a secured loan, last month it reported as 2 payments left, this month 1 payment left. For the first time Discover Score page didn't say PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH, so I guess I got some points from this.

I have 4 INQ on TU. Last month there were 2 over 1 year and 2 under a year. This month, 3 over a year and 1 under a year (almost 6 months). I guess most points came from this.

Util is almost the same, maybe a little less. I can't find anything else. I expect a big drop next month because my only loan will have $0 balance.

I didn't know that a credit profile around 800 could get a big jump like that with those changes on their credit. Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unexpected jump (28 points)

@newhis wrote:

I'm just learning about FICO scoring, so after getting a 28 jump on TU (Discover statement), I took some time to check what changed from last month to this one.

I know a card that was at $0 for several months now closed with some balance on 11/10. I expected a score drop because of this. I don't know if this made to the score on 11/12 but maybe not.

I have a secured loan, last month it reported as 2 payments left, this month 1 payment left. For the first time Discover Score page didn't say PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH, so I guess I got some points from this.

I have 4 INQ on TU. Last month there were 2 over 1 year and 2 under a year. This month, 3 over a year and 1 under a year (almost 6 months). I guess most points came from this.

Util is almost the same, maybe a little less. I can't find anything else. I expect a big drop next month because my only loan will have $0 balance.

I didn't know that a credit profile around 800 could get a big jump like that with those changes on their credit. Am I missing something?

What is the term on that secured loan?

Installment utilization is a non-trivial factor in FICO 8, change in the number of accounts with balances in small numbers isn't going to cause that magnitude of a change.  Yup, you probably lose it next month, though you can pull the typical Alliant 5 year secured loan trick and get the points back again.

Actually 800's get bigger jumps (and bigger drops) from changes; nature of the FICO beast for gold plated reports.

        
Message 2 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Installment utilization is a non-trivial factor in FICO 8, change in the number of accounts with balances in small numbers isn't going to cause that magnitude of a change.  Yup, you probably lose it next month, though you can pull the typical Alliant 5 year secured loan trick and get the points back again.

Actually 800's get bigger jumps (and bigger drops) from changes; nature of the FICO beast for gold plated reports.

It was only 1 year. It is paid now and they will report it on 12/01.

Thank you. I'm not chasing a score right now. I'll consider the loan trick in the future, I want to see how big is the drop next month.

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newhis wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

It was only 1 year. It is paid now and they will report it on 12/01.

Thank you. I'm not chasing a score right now. I'll consider the loan trick in the future, I want to see how big is the drop next month.

My guess would be 35 points.  

Not sure I agree with the not chasing a score right now, it's impossible to forecast all situations where having an optimized score might be useful... for somewhat short-term things like revolving utilization if you're transacting anyway no big deal, but for something like installment utilization under modern models, I'd pretty much suggest to everyone to optimize it if they can (I can't anymore with a recent mortgage without coming up with a massive chunk of cash which would be fiscally dumb given my interest rate) since it's a single account in your case, good for 5 years, that costs pennies in interest when done smartly. 

Anyone who's paid a yuppie foodstamp to even check their scores, it should be an obvious thing to do this to actually improve one's scores.

My theory anyway.

        
Message 4 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Not sure I agree with the not chasing a score right now, it's impossible to forecast all situations where having an optimized score might be useful... for somewhat short-term things like revolving utilization if you're transacting anyway no big deal, but for something like installment utilization under modern models, I'd pretty much suggest to everyone to optimize it if they can (I can't anymore with a recent mortgage without coming up with a massive chunk of cash which would be fiscally dumb given my interest rate) since it's a single account in your case, good for 5 years, that costs pennies in interest when done smartly. 

Anyone who's paid a yuppie foodstamp to even check their scores, it should be an obvious thing to do this to actually improve one's scores.

My theory anyway.

Thank you. All valid points.

Message 5 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

My theory anyway.

I asked for a CLI with BoA, they pulled TU and it was 19 points down (10 days ago). Just got Discover TU FICO from 5 days ago, still only 19 points down.

Do you know if the Fico Score that BoA sent me is calculated after the HP? With this information I can know if:

a) not having the loan made the 19 points drop and the HP didn't change my score or

b) not having the loand and that HP made my score drop 19 points

I have a 10 day old HP, then 1 a little over 6 months and 3 over 1 year (5 total on TU).

My score will drop more when my new AARP reports, I guess. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.