cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained Score Drop, No Help From Bureau, Can I Sue?

tag
rampman10
Valued Member

Unexplained Score Drop, No Help From Bureau, Can I Sue?

I subscribe to a credit monitoring service from the bureau that most of my lenders seem to use.  It includes my credit score.  I had my doubts about their accuracy in the past but now I am certain there is a problem.  I have made several attempts to get an explanation from the bureau and resolve the issue but the personnel from the bureau have refused to help and in some instances been downright rude.  I will list my concerns in an attempt to be brief.

1.  The "product" I purchased from the bureau includes unlimited credit scores.

2.  During a 3 day period a couple months ago my score dropped by 15 points when no score-changing items were posted to my report.  The bureau has told me several times this is not possible yet refused to correct my score or explain what happened.

3.  During this 3 day period the *only* change posted to my credit report was a soft inquiry from an insurance company *which the bureau itself says **does not affect** my credit score*.

4.  All the other information on my report remained the same.  There were

*No other inquiries hard or soft*

*No changes in balances or credit limits on my credit cards* 

*No changes in any other loans, mortgages or accounts*

*My credit usage remained the same*

*No legal filings, tax liens or derogatory information added to my credit report*

*The **only** change was the soft pull from the insurance company.*  The bureau stated in writing that their scoring methods did not change during the 3 day period.

5. The bureau stated in an email that my score *cannot change unless a score-changing item posts to my credit report*.  They say it is impossible. But they *refuse to explain why it happened*.  I also spoke on the phone to a bureau representative who told me a score change without a report change was impossible and that a soft inquiry *will not affect my score*.  But when she viewed the change she abruptly ended the call and said she could no longer help me!  It sounded like she saw there was a problem and could not explain it so she ended the call.

As most of you know, a 15 point FICO drop is significant.  The bureau not only refuses to investigate, but they make it next to impossible to speak to a person.  They have ignored multiple phone calls and emails.  Given the extreme importance of a consumer credit score, I would think they would be very interested in knowing if there is a glitch in their system.  I would also think it would be easy for someone in the bureau's tech support department to pull up my file and see exactly what happened.  Their scores affect millions of people and if they are unable to verify the accuracy of their credit scores, we should all be very worried.

I have paid a monthly fee for a service that the bureau advertises as being factual and correct and which is supposed to explain changes in my score.  I assert that the bureau has breached our contract by providing inaccurate information and by refusing to explain the drop in my score.  I have also been unable to refinance an auto loan at a more favorable APR because my score was just under the required minimum.

I don't know what the requirements are for a class-action lawsuit, but my score changed without cause, I think it has probably happened to many people.  Does anyone know a good attorney?  I live in Dallas, Texas but I willing to travel if their is an attorney willing to help.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
roastbeans
New Contributor

Re: Unexplained Score Drop, No Help From Bureau, Can I Sue?

I dont see how you can sue them unless their wrong score somehow  EFFECTED you financially/emotionaly in someway,such as you were turned down getting a loan...etc .Just my two cents

Message 2 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Where are you obtaining your score? It is very likely not a FICO score, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 10
roastbeans
New Contributor

if you ever come to georgia I will show the best pizza place in the world.

Message 4 of 10
rampman10
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply.  I list the incidences of harm and how I was affected in my post. 1.  I could not refinance my auto loan to a lower APR.  2.  I have paid the bureau for a service they failed to provide.  They accepted money but did not provide the service they advertise.  If a consumer pays a merchant a feein exchange for a service, it is generally considered a legal and binding agreement in most instrances.

Message 5 of 10
rampman10
Valued Member

According to the bureau, it is a FICO score, and a representative who claims to be from their executive legal department actually tried to get rid of me by telling me to call Fair-Isaac and ask them why my score changed when I purchased the service from the bureau.  This is the shocking level of incompetence I have been dealing with the last few months.

If your FICO score dropped for no reason would you not want to know?  The mortgages, auto loans, credit cards and APR's are in the hands of these people!  They have a responsibility to provide accurate information.  I don't understand why I seem to be the only person who thinks this is a big deal.

Message 6 of 10
rampman10
Valued Member

Sorry for the typos.  I generally do a better job of proofreading but I think you can understand my reply.

Message 7 of 10
roastbeans
New Contributor

Rampman,believe me your not the only one thinks its a big deal.Millions of people,including myself try to dispute the error by those credit agencies everyday.And IT IS A BIG DEAL! your future is depending on it.

Message 8 of 10
rampman10
Valued Member

And that is why I am asking if I can take action.  If anyone knows a good attorney, please let me know.  Thanks for your input and opinions.  I appreciate it.

Message 9 of 10
Slab
Frequent Contributor

If you are not paying for a FICO score through this site, you are probably not getting accurate information. I am a member of Equifax Complete Premier Plan which cost 19.95 per month and the score is never the same as my FICO Equifax score. It says in the fine print that Equifax Complete Premier Plan is an educational tool. You can check your score provider and see if it says the same thing in fine print.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.