Established Contributor
ifinet

Unused credit ding and Amex charge cards..

Hey fellas, just wanna know if I'd be dinged if I didnt use my Amex charge card for over 6 months. I do see a score drop if i keep one of my revolvers inactive for 6 months though. Thanks in advance!

Established Contributor
ifinet

Re: Unused credit ding and Amex charge cards..

This thread is awefully deserted...Talk about darth vader super bowl ad then?

Established Contributor
stan_the_man

Many people here on the boards report that if they have no revolving trade lines (credit and card cards) reporting a balance at the end of the month that they see a small score decline. The common advice that others offer is to maintain a reported utilization between 1% and 9%.

I hope that helps.

Established Contributor
ifinet

I was more like referring to the ding that you get if any of your revolver hits 6 months of continuous inactivity. I wanna know if the same thing applies to amex charge cards too. I hope i made myself clear this time...

Established Member
DD60

I recently used an AmEx card that I had not used for several months - possibly six.  I had been told by friends to use a card at least once a year to keep it active.  That $27 charge caused a 10-point drop in my FICO score.  Apparently one must use cards much more frequently.

Starting Score: 813
Current Score: 813
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
MarineVietVet

DD60 wrote:

I recently used an AmEx card that I had not used for several months - possibly six.  I had been told by friends to use a card at least once a year to keep it active.  That $27 charge caused a 10-point drop in my FICO score.  Apparently one must use cards much more frequently.

You don't have to let a charge report in order to show activity. Buy something small and then PIF as soon as the charges hits the account and before the statement posts.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Established Contributor
ifinet

@DD60 & @MARINE

Finally, the kind of answer I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}