Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Final update 12/11] Car loan & installment loan thresholds

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

[Final update 12/11] Car loan & installment loan thresholds

As my scores got optimized for the bucket I'm in, I decided to buy a new car, and to pick up a few nice cards before my scores got tanked by the car loan.

Update 6/5/16, 2:16 PM  Car loan, with 87.7% installment utilization, hits my reports.

Update 7/6/16, 3:15 PM Car loan payments drop overall installment utilization to 79.1%.

Update 8/2/16, 11:21 AM Car loan payments drop overall installment utilization to 68.8%

Update 9/2/16, 10:01 PM Car loan payments drop overall installment utilization to 58.4%

Update 10/5/16. 7:58 AM. Down to 39%

Update 11/5/16, 5:35 PM. Down to 9%

Update 12/11/16, 10:25 PM. Paid off auto loan, SSL remains at 7.5%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 102
101 REPLIES 101
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Re: My scores peaking, the calm before the storm

Congrats.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 2 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@surferchris wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks Chris

Message 3 of 102
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Other than losing the installment loan benefit of the Alliant reindeer games, isn't going to hurt that badly.

Out of curiosity what are your negatives?  Noticed you have a correspondingly much higher FICO 9 set of scores in your signature, my apologies if your profile has (likely) been well documented elsewhere.

        
Message 4 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Other than losing the installment loan benefit of the Alliant reindeer games, isn't going to hurt that badly.

Out of curiosity what are your negatives?  Noticed you have a correspondingly much higher FICO 9 set of scores in your signature, my apologies if your profile has (likely) been well documented elsewhere.

The things that seems to get the most criticism from the FICO 8 algorithm are those clustering around the newness of my credit history (average age young, most recent account quite recent, etc) and large number of inquiries, which Tom_Thumb opined are factors receiving significantly less disapprobation in 9 than in 8, and 1 old public record which should fall off later this year, moving me into a 'clean' bucket.

The factors which FICO announced, rental history, small collections, medical collections, are not relevant to my profile as I haven't had any collections or rental history in decades.

Message 5 of 102
Grafton88
Established Contributor

I will be interested is seeing how your scores change.  I am in the garden until September when I will also buy a new car.  My scores should be in the mid-seven hundreds by then.  I plan to get one new CC(Lowes) at the same time.  My current AAoA is only 7 months.

I don't mind taking the temporary hit as I really need a new car and the Lowes card is one I want for when I buy a house next year.  I just want to see the hit I will take and the recovery time.

Congrats on your new car and cards.

P.S.  My EX score jumped 28 points when I paid my secure loan down under 9%.  I hope that isn't the kind of hit I will take with a new loan.

Message 6 of 102
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats! I wonder how much they'll drop? Even if so, I'd think they'll rebound within months.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 102
elim
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

As my scores got optimized for the bucket I'm in, I decided to buy a new car, and to pick up a few nice cards before my scores got tanked by the car loan.

Now I'm firmly in the garden for a long while; I certainly don't need any more credit cards, and I'm just praying I don't get hit with too much adverse action.

I'm sure my scores will be back down in the 600's within weeks, if not sooner.

lol (laughing at myself), every few months I make a change (or 3) to my profile which makes me VERY nervous for awhile.  Can't sweat it when we play this game.   Just keep utilization in check and wait it out.   I'm at the point now i'm second guessing closing the cards that are in the plan thinking it may affect some internal score, somewhere.

I bet you don't take much hit at all.  My last card actually increased my scores.

Best of Luck   :]

Message 8 of 102
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RM21 wrote:
Congrats! I wonder how much they'll drop? Even if so, I'd think they'll rebound within months.

Unfortunately installment utilization doesn't work that way.  Based on my data the drop will equal the gain from crossing both thresholds, I know we can dig out SJ's 9% breakpoint shift, not sure we can for the higher one but mine was explicitly the sum of the two... and yeah, as expected, I didn't recover those points.

Damned mortgage Smiley Happy.

        
Message 9 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Well for good or ill I will update here when the auto loan reports.

According to the FICO 8 Simulator, I should lose 30 points on TU & EX, & 35 points on EQ.

Message 10 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.