Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update with Tax Lien Release

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Update with Tax Lien Release

To bring you up to date...

I had 1 State tax lien on EQ and TU but my EX was spotless.

A State tax lien release showed up on my EQ the other day. The release WASN'T for the liens that were already on my reports but for another lien that never showed up on my reports. It dropped my EQ FICO 8 score 1 point here at MyFICO Scorewatch.

It has been driving me crazy wondering what was happening to my TU and EX scores. I checked my TU report at CK and saw the new tax lien release on the report and it didn't change my TU CK FAKO score at all. My CK FAKO score is really high because I don't think they take tax liens into account when calculating scores anyway. I would have to wait until the beginning of next month to find out a real TU score from one of my credit cards. It was driving me crazy I tell ya!

I was very concerned about my EX score. The 1 State tax lien that I had on that report fell off about a month ago leaving me with a spotless EX report. My EX score shot up about 100 points! (What was that State tax lien release doing to that score?) I'm totally blind to my EX score because I only have Scorewatch and have to pull a 3 bureau report to see my EX score.

So, I broke down and pulled a 3 bureau report tonight...

The State tax lien release hardly changed anything!

The State tax lien release didn't show up on my EX report!!!! I still have a spotless EX report!!! (I hope it stays that way!)

I do have 2 credit cards reporting this month versus the 1 credit card that I had reporting last month. The EQ and TU reports do show 2 public records on each report. They are both State tax liens.

The extra money I paid to my installment loans, taking the remaining balance to less than 50% owed from starting balance HAS NOT REPORTED YET.

Here are a few things from my reports and my spreadsheet showing my score changes in the last 2 months:

My credit pros and cons:

And my spreadsheet detailing my score changes:

I am currently working with a professional to have the 2 State tax liens paid and removed from my EQ and TU reports so I've been watching my scores like a hawk lately. As soon as I get the liens removed I plan on apping for a mortgage.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update with Tax Lien Release

Your scores are nearly identical to mine, except TU is my clean - sans state tax lien - report. I saw a similar jump when it disappeared from TU. Currently:

TU - 787

EQ - 708

EX - 702

Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Heh, glad you dodged the EX bullet Jamie!

Think I asked you this before so my apologies if it got answered elsewhere, what date does the lien release show up as?  FICO doesn't appear to differentiate between open vs. released or paid lien, I got slapped on FICO 8 when I tacked a new lien on to a report that had existing liens on it, but it faded really quickly (6 months my scores were substantially higher than when it was tacked on, I could maybe dig out the data on that) so my thought is the lien release / filing date shows up somewhere well in the past for you.  Also my scores didn't budget when I got it released so I don't think it follows some of the paying a collection snafu that we've gotten tons of reports on.

        
Message 3 of 6
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Both EQ and TU show it being paid in May,2015 but TU actually gives the specific date of May 21,2015.

Look here:

Message 4 of 6
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I have a question.

How can they show it as paid when in fact I didn't pay anything towards these liens?

Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jamie123 wrote:

I have a question.

How can they show it as paid when in fact I didn't pay anything towards these liens?

Liens are scored from the file date it seems, so basically you got a second derogatory of the same type tacked on with a scoring date of 6 years ago... I'm not surprised your FICO 8 scores barely hiccuped and with the way the older models work they probably didn't move much either.  My FICO Beacon 5.0 experience was laughable, brand new Notice of Federal Tax Lien opened, filed, with at that time basically today's date... score dropped, 5 points.  

That was with a Cali state tax lien from 2010 on the reports; FICO 8 on the other hand got slapped 40+ points.  That you didn't, seems to confirm that the release date for liens doesn't matter along with my own experience getting that lien released and then delaying getting it removed.

Paid vs. Released is just a reporting idiosyncracy, may just be with some State liens; I actually had UW ask for a LOE on my state tax lien for my mortgage adventure because it wasn't shown as "Paid" on all bureaus, was just released on some.  The reporting system sucks, so does mortgage underwriting... vis a vis why would you care as long as that lien is no longer in force and can't attach to property which released indicates?  Sigh.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.