cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated TU FICO: lower score with better info. ???

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Updated TU FICO: lower score with better info. ???

@ztnjpv wrote:

"There's no way to change the FICO score to see information that isn't reported to the credit bureaus."

Of course not. But making that information something that the CRA's ask for or suggest giving wouldn't hurt. It's one more number: total amount spent.

LOL I can see it now.  FICO adopts new "Minority Report" score algorithim.

Most CCs report a high balance and I am not aware of anyone deined for credit because their high balance was equal to their CL.

Count yourself lucky that in most cases we can control how much is being reported so we can use credit without impacting our FICO score.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 11 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Updated TU FICO: lower score with better info. ???

@Lel wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

BTW, the only thing I can think of to explain this is that having zero balance across all my cards somehow lowered my score. But if that's the case, that's pretty stupid. FICO should get a little more sophisticated and find a way to know that the card was used between updates even if it's reporting a zero balance. All my cards had balances that were paid in full before the statement date. Sometimes I leave a few bucks on one or two. This month, I left nothing. If that's bad for a score, something needs to change.

Here's the problem: the FICO score can only be calculated from the information that is provided to the CRAs by the creditors.  The credit card companies do not provide day-to-day information about balances and payments to the CRAs.  They only report a single amount - the statement balance - once a month.

There's no way to change the FICO score to see information that isn't reported to the credit bureaus.

I think people oversimplify this, not certain why.

Pull a real Experian report, there's more data than just statement balance on the consumer-visible report.  If lenders are reporting it to EX, presumably it's being reported to EQ/TU as well.  I can also nearly guaruntee you that there's additional information reported that we don't see.  In general folks on this forum tend to think that FICO is simplistic: it may be kludgy, unintuitive, or even ass-backwards sometimes from our perspective, but simple is absolutely not an adjective which fits.

ztn: I would contend looking at said EX report that it's easy to tell whether there's activity on the card, but since we don't know for certain, it just winds up being zealots on the forum (like myself) arguing opposing positions unfortunately.  The sad thing is I don't think it'd even cost Fair Issac, or the bureaus, or anyone else to make some parts of the model more public... like whether it really is so stupid that it can't tell one $0 balance from another.

        
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.