Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded FICO Score

tag
Dakota17
New Visitor

Upgraded FICO Score

I recieved a notice that my FICO Score has been "Upgraded".  I check my score and found that it dropped 48 points.  After doing so research online I found that a new Formula called FICO 9 is now being used.  I have been working hard to get my score to wher eit was and n ow I have to start all over.  What gives?  Why the change?  I am afraid that I will be deemed a "higher risk" for deliquency. NOT HAPPY.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgraded FICO Score

Lenders use a wide variety of scoring systems to evaluate your credit standing.

Because of this, the reality is that there's not a single "right" score -- we all have multiple scores.

What I have found most valuable for myself is to use a score as an indicator, that points at certain areas that I may wish to try to improve over time.  A couple of big examples here are (1) avoiding derogatories, and (2) keeping utilization low.

It's also the case that lenders often use scores that are not available to consumers, which means that no matter how hard we try, we won't necessarily know the score that a lender is going to use when we apply for credit.

Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To be clear, it's FICO 8 for Scorewatch and also now for TU Quarterly Monitoring if you've been upgraded recently.

FICO 9 hasn't been released quite yet, due sometime this summer.

Most of the drops reported have been from files which didn't have a good mix of open tradelines: all revolving (like 20-30 points anecdotally) or all installment (50ish points from reports).  I'm certain there's other reasons too but these seem to be the two ones which are commonly coming up when we have people describing their files and seeing changes under the new Scorewatch with recent installment loans being PIF'd and seeing a larger than expected (under the old model) drop.

        
Message 3 of 6
vtskier
Valued Member

You are not alone. My score was 668 before the change and 634 after it. Using the score modeler if I make 24 on time payments my score will go back to close to what it was. Good thing I got my car loan last month!!!!

Message 4 of 6
msbia
Established Contributor

@vtskier wrote:

You are not alone. My score was 668 before the change and 634 after it. Using the score modeler if I make 24 on time payments my score will go back to close to what it was. Good thing I got my car loan last month!!!!

+1, I am so glad that I secured my 3.3% financed car mid-May because I doubt that I'd be approved with my "new" score.
Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 5 of 6
ali9021

Yeah my score dropped about 45 pts with the upgraded FICO scoreSmiley Mad

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.