Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent: Any advice to quickly improve scores for mortgage, I am very close

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Urgent: Any advice to quickly improve scores for mortgage, I am very close

@Anonymous wrote:

question:  so for every month that is reported with $0 except one, does the mortgage score go up?  Its cool if its one month, but I am hoping it goes up a few months monthly with this strategy?  When I get ready to lock, I know they will run my credit again, so I am trying to estimate how many points over what i started with I will be.  Thanks!

I don't think that's how it works. This is just a way to get the max points for using credit. If everything stays the same your score will be the same until something else changes to gain some extra points (bad things drop, oldest account or average get over a threshold, loan balance drop to certain levels) 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JunieB!

Nehis is absolutely right.  The All Zero Except One (AZEO) approach helps you squeeze out extra scoring points in the 1-2 months before an important credit application (e.g. home loan, auto loan, difficult to get credit card, etc.). 

It does not help you as a long term strategy for gradually building your score over time.  The strategy there is to be doing all of the following:

* Always pay on time

* Once you have plenty of accounts, avoid applying for more.

* Keep utilization reasonably low (just so your creditors don't get worried).  1-29% is fine.  So is going a bit higher sometimes.

* Try to have an open installment loan that is mostly paid off.  If you have a car or a home loan, the "mostly paid off" thing is not easy and shouldn't be worried about.  But otherwise this piece is easy to meet -- ask people here if you need more info.

A final key item for the future is to always pay your cards in full.  This is called being a transactor and future scoring models will like that a lot.  If you haven't been doing that for a while, it will take a while to create a history of this inside your report, so you should get started on it soon.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to you both!  I think it worked in my favor between the lender apps.  My middle score for the 2nd lender (3 weeks post-first HP and paying off all to $0), got me a 701 (EX) mortgage score which I was hoping for over 700.  The first time it was 695. 

My high was like 716 (TU)

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.