cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used new card for first time score dropped 3 points? Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Used new card for first time score dropped 3 points? Why?

I received my first credit card when not having them for almost 10 years.  I received the card in Nov 2006 and used it for the first time in March 2007.  They I received a email saying my score dropped 3 points?  I paid the card off ASAP.  Why would it drop?? 
This is the reason I do not like credit cards and only have one because today you need them. 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Used new card for first time score dropped 3 points? Why?

Sometimes card start reporting only when you use them for the first time.

- lower average account age
-more recent newest account
Message 2 of 4
antredd67
Contributor

That's another low blow...but i agree..if you haven't been using it Fico sees it as a new file as if you just opened up a brand new credit card.  Remember the way we pay our bills on time and keeping our balances at 10-30% of credit limit are what factor into our score big time.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

"if you haven't been using it Fico sees it as a new file as if you just opened up a brand new credit card. "

Not accurate. If you open an account in january, and use it for the first time in march, it still reports as having been opened in january. Granted of course it is still a new account (hence the decrease).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.