Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card to maximum score increases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit card to maximum score increases

I guess I just need some basic help.  I have three cards:  1 secured $501, 1 unsecured $3000, and 1 unsecured as an authorized user $2000.  I was told the best way to increase score using cards is to pay it down to 20% a few days before the statement date, then two weeks later, pay it down even more.  Is this accurate?  If I always pay it to 20%by the statement date, how are credit bureaus seeing my activity?  Should the secured and authorized user card stay at $0 balance? or just a small balance?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Using credit card to maximum score increases

For me, I notice maximum score increases when I let only 1 of my credit cards report. And it reports between 5-9%. All my other cards report zero. Hope this helps.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I just need some basic help.  I have three cards:  1 secured $501, 1 unsecured $3000, and 1 unsecured as an authorized user $2000.  I was told the best way to increase score using cards is to pay it down to 20% a few days before the statement date, then two weeks later, pay it down even more.  Is this accurate?  If I always pay it to 20%by the statement date, how are credit bureaus seeing my activity?  Should the secured and authorized user card stay at $0 balance? or just a small balance?

Yes, technically to maximize score you want to have one card reporting some fairly small utilization, however be advised the score improvement may not be a huge amount of points. For regular months where you are just using the card, it is a lot easier to just pay after the statement cuts. While monitoring your scores, you can then see for yourself how that affects your score, month to month. When you think an app is approaching, then you will have some real data to know whether paying before statement cut will give you some boost in points, or not.

All files are different, and the number of points from percent of cards and utilization varies. The largest influence on scores is length of time the file is open, and whether any payments have been missed.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, technically to maximize score you want to have one card reporting some fairly small utilization, however be advised the score improvement may not be a huge amount of points. For regular months where you are just using the card, it is a lot easier to just pay after the statement cuts. While monitoring your scores, you can then see for yourself how that affects your score, month to month. When you think an app is approaching, then you will have some real data to know whether paying before statement cut will give you some boost in points, or not.

All files are different, and the number of points from percent of cards and utilization varies. The largest influence on scores is length of time the file is open, and whether any payments have been missed.

For FICO 08 scores, you want one card reporting a small amount, but not so small that the credit company decides to forgive the small amount, which would leave you with 0 on the card you are trying to have a small balance on. All other cards should report $0 balance. We usually suggest 1% - 9% on one card, but technically the lower the better as long as its at least a couple dollars. But, the benefits you get for being at $2 balance versis 5% balance on that one card is almost negligible. In other words, its usually not worth it to try to micromanage things to that extent.

Having said that, here is a clearer explanation: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/2471257#M199479

Also, if you do not have any open credit besides credit cards, this technique can be very beneficial, IF you do it correctly (ie, by using Alliant Credit Union): http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/m-p/4506756#M106741

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have noted that I am most interested in increasing my mortgage FICO scores

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I should have noted that I am most interested in increasing my mortgage FICO scores

Hi Nick.  What is your best guess as to when you will buy a house?  Are we talking three months from now?  Three years?

There's a long term strategy (how to gradually build your score over time) and a short term strategy (which applies in the 60 days before a major application for credit).  The two strategies are very different and are intended to achieve different things.

NRB was getting at this idea earlier.

If you give us your timeline we can point you in the direction you should go.

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Best is to pay 2 of them down to zero before the statement date, with the 3rd reporting a small balance of 10% or less

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am ready to buy the sooner the better.  Best case scenario, by the time my current lease ends in July or around then

Message 8 of 9
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is your current FICO mortgage scores?  What others have posted about only letting one card statement with less than 9% of your CL is good advice. What currently is the AAoA? Any deliquents or derogs? No installments?  Be prepared some UW will request that you be removed as a AU, which can affect your AAoA,, etc. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.