Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uti Question

tag
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Uti Question

My wifes uti is at like 52%. Would it help if I added her to my Barclays card I was just approved for? I have a $1,200 limit, and that would bring her uti down. If I did this would it help her scores since the account is so new? Trying to get her UTI down. Just paid it down from like 85%.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
daveg38
Established Contributor

Re: Uti Question

Well, it could help or hurt her score.

Listing new accounts always initially drops scores; they go up or down from there depending on limit, UT, etc.

Provided her limit on the card that is at 52% is low, it could work.

Example:  Let's assume 52% was on a card with a $700; that would make her balance being utilized about $364.

Now, let's add $1200 to it (assuming that you'll not use it until it posts to her CR) 364 / 1900 = 19.1% - alot better.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Juss11 wrote:

My wifes uti is at like 52%. Would it help if I added her to my Barclays card I was just approved for? I have a $1,200 limit, and that would bring her uti down. If I did this would it help her scores since the account is so new? Trying to get her UTI down. Just paid it down from like 85%.

There are certain criteria that need to be met for an AU to be helped:

1. The account needs to be older than any of hers (older than her current AAoA is even better),

2. The payment history needs to be long and clean,

3. The the utilization is very low,

4. And if it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first.

It sounds like #1 and #2 might be a problem.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The potential "hidden" impact of having an AU account on her CR will be the resulting usefulness of her scores to creditors.

Just as the consumer cant calculate their score with and without the inclusion of the credit history of another in their scoring, neither can creditors.

If a creditor wished to assess her risk based on only her own credit history, her FICO score would no longer provide that information.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.