Established Contributor
EaglesFan2006

Util drops and scores

I recently signed up for SW on MyFico.  I was notified of a big balance change, but it indicated that my score didn't change.  I realize that not every change in util triggers a big change, but I'd expect even a point or two.  At what sort of percentage drop should I start to wonder if something might be wrong if the score isn't changing?

Chase Freedom: $1500, Citi Diamond Preferred: $3000, Barclays: $3900, Chase Disney Visa: $1500, Chase Southwest Signature: $5000, Citi TY Preferred: $3000, Cap One Platinum: $1750, Cap One Platinum Rewards: $2500, Orchard Bank: $900, Kay Store Card: $4500
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Util drops and scores

EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I recently signed up for SW on MyFico.  I was notified of a big balance change, but it indicated that my score didn't change.  I realize that not every change in util triggers a big change, but I'd expect even a point or two.  At what sort of percentage drop should I start to wonder if something might be wrong if the score isn't changing?

It's always a YMMV-thing based on your credit profile. Some folks can go from 0% to 90% on one card and see a decent drop. Others can do the same and see no FICO change. It depends on the balances and limits of your other revolving items, whether or not CCs are over the limit, change in individual util, and change in overall util. It also depends on whether or not util is listed as a top negative item on your FICO report. Mix of credit also plays into it.

Established Contributor
EaglesFan2006

llecs wrote:

EaglesFan2006 wrote:

It's always a YMMV-thing based on your credit profile. Some folks can go from 0% to 90% on one card and see a decent drop. Others can do the same and see no FICO change. It depends on the balances and limits of your other revolving items, whether or not CCs are over the limit, change in individual util, and change in overall util. It also depends on whether or not util is listed as a top negative item on your FICO report. Mix of credit also plays into it.

Thanks again for explaining.  I know I had none of those negatives, and the only change should've been the drop in balance.  I suppose it wasn't enough to trigger a change.  It's interesting about your note regarding top negative items.  Is that the way MyFICO lists them on SW?  I know about the percentages when computing scores, but it would make sense that util woudl outweight my other negs, all of which are pretty minor by comparison since i have no missed payments or anything truly negative.

Chase Freedom: $1500, Citi Diamond Preferred: $3000, Barclays: $3900, Chase Disney Visa: $1500, Chase Southwest Signature: $5000, Citi TY Preferred: $3000, Cap One Platinum: $1750, Cap One Platinum Rewards: $2500, Orchard Bank: $900, Kay Store Card: $4500
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

If you pull any report from myFICO whether you burn one of your reports on SW, purchase one, get one via TUQM, or wherever via myFICO, you'll see on the 2nd and 3rd page a scale and it'll show the things that hurt your FICO the most and help your FICO the most. And these pos/neg items are ranked in order from most hurtful to least on the negative side and opposite for positive. So someone who doesn't have util listed at all as a negative item won't see the same FICO improvements from util as someone who has it listed as #1 as a neg. BTW, you can also find the top neg items that hurt in order from many lender's reports.

Valued Contributor
AndySoCal

Two questions what was your util % before and after the drop? Also is credit utilixzation a negative factor on your credit report?

Equifax My FICO score 815 5/28/2012, 818 on 7/28/2014 . Average of Accounts 12 years and no Installment accounts. MyFICO TU 810 6/26/2012 809 4/21/2013 MyFICO XPN -805. 2/26/2014 Discover TU FICO 813 App free since 9/2011
Established Contributor
EaglesFan2006

I had a 10 percent drop in util. And MyFico lists it as a factor that be hurting my score.

Thanks for the tips
Valued Contributor
thom02099

AndySoCal wrote:

Two questions what was your util % before and after the drop? Also is credit utilixzation a negative factor on your credit report?

EaglesFan2006 wrote:
I had a 10 percent drop in util. And MyFico lists it as a factor that be hurting my score.

Thanks for the tips

A 10% drop could be insignificant if your TOTAL util is over 50%.  Dropping from, say, 70% to 60% won't show much of a score change if at all.  The good place to be is under 50%.  The better place to be is under 30%.  And the best place to be is under 9%.  These are the "break points" in utilisation where you're likely to see score changes. 

AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 768 EQ = 828 TU = 834 - June/2014
Established Contributor
EaglesFan2006

thom02099 wrote:

AndySoCal wrote:

EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Thanks for the tips

A 10% drop could be insignificant if your TOTAL util is over 50%.  Dropping from, say, 70% to 60% won't show much of a score change if at all.  The good place to be is under 50%.  The better place to be is under 30%.  And the best place to be is under 9%.  These are the "break points" in utilisation where you're likely to see score changes. 

Thanks!  It's good to know there are tiers, as opposed to just 0.  Do installment loan balances have similar tiers, or is that only really impacted when they figure DTI?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+