Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Util %

tag
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Util %

SO - we went a little overboard at christmas and used the CC rather then the bank card (since it seems to somehow keep getting stolen lol) and i was wonderiring....

We are sitting at about a balance of 850/1550 balances..... should we pay this down over the next three months, or one lump sum? we certainly have the means to pay this... was just wondering what the best action would be to pay this. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Util %

Just pay it off now. There is no benefit to carrying this CC balance that I can see. Obviously if you let it ride for several months you will pay interest charges.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Right but the score simulator thinger from my fico says that i would get an average of 20 points more if i pay it DOWN over the next 3 months rather then just PIF.... 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a big fan of the FICO simulator. Assuming it is correct, that gain would likely include 3 months worth of aging on all of your other accounts. Maybe there's an acct that hits a birthday or maybe the new account damage is wearing off somewhere. Who knows. But ditto, utilization alone is a snapshot in time. It doesn't matter if you PIF tomorrow or 10 years from now, the impact is equal because the end result is the same (0% util or whatever your goal may be).

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:
Just pay it off now. There is no benefit to carrying this CC balance that I can see. Obviously if you let it ride for several months you will pay interest charges.

+1

You have nothing to gain by paying over time, you do however have something to lose.........money.

Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Always pay off any debt as fast as you can as long as you don't use up any savings. Being debt free supercedes score considerations in my humble opinion.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BadCredBen wrote:

SO - we went a little overboard at christmas and used the CC rather then the bank card (since it seems to somehow keep getting stolen lol) and i was wonderiring....

We are sitting at about a balance of 850/1550 balances..... should we pay this down over the next three months, or one lump sum? we certainly have the means to pay this... was just wondering what the best action would be to pay this. 

How many card do you have?? ANd how many are reporting balances? If this is your only card I would pay it off but leave 1-9% of balance to report .

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont believe that the FICO simulator is ever going to provide a score change that pegs one immediate action to one immediate resulting score.  It believe that it always takes into account assumptions across the board on all items, and usually over a period of months, if for no other reason than to prevent reverse engineering of how one item is scored.

I would not put faith in any number from the simulator that is intended to show immediate impact of one item. 

If you dont need to actually use your FICO score in the next three months, it is kinda academic, as the same point is reached either way.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.