cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilities collection advice

tag
bm12484

Utilities collection advice

I've spent the last 6 years getting my credit score up from low 500's to 750 where it was a few weeks ago. I moved last year and somehow missed a partial utilities bill for $200. Long story short, the account went into collections back in July-never received a letter or phone call from the collection agency Solomon & Solomon and it appeared on my credit report in October. I paid the original creditor right away and filed disputes with the 3 bureaus. One deleted and two updated to paid collection. The collection agency refuses to do anything for me, meanwhile my score plummeted 80 points. 

Should I keep disputing with the agencies? What options do I have?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilities collection advice

Since it went into collections and you paid it. You are basically at the mercy of the collection agency. If they continue to verify the debt each time it is disputed then it will remain on your credit for 7 years from the first late payment on your credit file. Some things you can do is contact the original creditor via call or good will letter and ask for a deletion however if they have sold the account this should be done with the Soloman and Soloman debt collection agency. The only recourse you have is to contact them and see if they will remove it. If not then it will remain on your credit as a "charge off paid in full " for 7 years. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.