Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Bills on CR??

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Utility Bills on CR??

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't feel bad byrdman TU hates me as well.
TU is telling me I don't have enough debt experience. I am not sure what else I am lacking.

Hi, jaybee --is that from a FICO TU score report, or from TU itself (or maybe a monitoring service)?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't feel bad byrdman TU hates me as well.
TU is telling me I don't have enough debt experience. I am not sure what else I am lacking.

Hi, jaybee --is that from a FICO TU score report, or from TU itself (or maybe a monitoring service)?

It is from both (TC and FICO) actually.
Message 32 of 43
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

In our area utilities, phone & cable only report if you are more than 30 days LATE.  They don't report any positive history!Smiley Mad  Same with cell phones.....unless you are really late they don't report either! 

I learned this info from my niece, who was just starting out on her own last year when she was 18....since then, she has had her car repo'd...utilities shut off and sent to collections (and CB) and has gone through 3 cell phone companies..all reporting negative for her on her CR!Smiley Sad

So young and stupid!!!  She doesn't understand what she has done!  She is now living back at home with her mom.  Well at least she has TIME on her side...I have told her this, but she doesn't seem to care!  She will sooner or later!!  Sorry....just ramblin'  Any kiddos reading this, WISE up!
takin' it one day at a time
Message 33 of 43
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@sunrise wrote:
In our area utilities, phone & cable only report if you are more than 30 days LATE. They don't report any positive history!Smiley Mad Same with cell phones.....unless you are really late they don't report either!
I learned this info from my niece, who was just starting out on her own last year when she was 18....since then, she has had her car repo'd...utilities shut off and sent to collections (and CB) and has gone through 3 cell phone companies..all reporting negative for her on her CR!Smiley Sad
So young and stupid!!! She doesn't understand what she has done! She is now living back at home with her mom. Well at least she has TIME on her side...I have told her this, but she doesn't seem to care! She will sooner or later!! Sorry....just ramblin' Any kiddos reading this, WISE up!

I might be wrong, but if a CRA is going to report the past dues (30, 60, 90) then they have to also report the good. Wouldn't that be crazy if a CCC would only report if you are past due and not report when you are on time? Am I off base here? I think that I remember reading that somewhere once.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junejer wrote:

@sunrise wrote:
In our area utilities, phone & cable only report if you are more than 30 days LATE. They don't report any positive history!Smiley Mad Same with cell phones.....unless you are really late they don't report either!
I learned this info from my niece, who was just starting out on her own last year when she was 18....since then, she has had her car repo'd...utilities shut off and sent to collections (and CB) and has gone through 3 cell phone companies..all reporting negative for her on her CR!Smiley Sad
So young and stupid!!! She doesn't understand what she has done! She is now living back at home with her mom. Well at least she has TIME on her side...I have told her this, but she doesn't seem to care! She will sooner or later!! Sorry....just ramblin' Any kiddos reading this, WISE up!

I might be wrong, but if a CRA is going to report the past dues (30, 60, 90) then they have to also report the good. Wouldn't that be crazy if a CCC would only report if you are past due and not report when you are on time? Am I off base here? I think that I remember reading that somewhere once.

There is no requirement to report, but if they do report, there is a requirement to report complete and accurate information.

I would think that if a creditor was reporting late payments and then didn't update their reporting once you got caught up, you would have a valid dispute as to the status of the account.  If they didn't update, then the status would remain at "90 days past due" or whatever.  You could then dispute with the CRA that the account should be "OK / Current / Pays as agreed".

Message 35 of 43
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@sunrise wrote:

There is no requirement to report, but if they do report, there is a requirement to report complete and accurate information.
I would think that if a creditor was reporting late payments and then didn't update their reporting once you got caught up, you would have a valid dispute as to the status of the account. If they didn't update, then the status would remain at "90 days past due" or whatever. You could then dispute with the CRA that the account should be "OK / Current / Pays as agreed".

Thanks for the assist cheddar. My local utility company reports the garbage, but when you are on time they report it as such as well. I think that Sunrise's niece has a valid dispute too.

Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:

I think that Sunrise's niece has a valid dispute too.

I think we'd need more information to know whether she has a valid dispute.  She said only that they don't report any positive history.  Whether she has a valid dispute would depend on what they ended up reporting once the account was brought current again.

If what she's saying is that they don't report at all until payments are missed, then that is fine, and it's a pretty common practice.  They are not required to report anything if they don't want to.  If missing a payment is their "internal trigger" to start the reporting process, then they are entitled to do it that way.

If, however, once the account is brought current they stop reporting, and the account appears on the CR as perpetually past due, then there would be a valid dispute based on what I said in my post above.

Message 37 of 43
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@sunrise wrote:

I would think that if a creditor was reporting late payments and then didn't update their reporting once you got caught up, you would have a valid dispute as to the status of the account. If they didn't update, then the status would remain at "90 days past due" or whatever. You could then dispute with the CRA that the account should be "OK / Current / Pays as agreed".

Cheddar, I interpreted what Sunrise wrote as the utility company didn't report ANY positive history only the negative stuff. That is why I say there is a valid dispute. If you are going to report the negative, then you have to also report the positive. I agree, they don't have to report anything whatsoever, but if you report the cr@p, then you report the happy stuff.

Message 38 of 43
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

*cough* Just want to let y'all know that this is my biggest problem. My local electric company reports to all 3 cra's and they have screwed me big time. For the past 5 months I have been fighting tooth and nail with this company. They have me as 120 late 5 months in a row, totally untrue. Wrote them a gw, no luck, disputed with all 3 cra's 2 times, no luck, still on my reports, comes back verified. Don't know how it was verified because it's not true! These people just screw around with peoples lives and don't even think twice if they put in a "wrong" code. I totally think utility companys should NOT be on a credit report because they are NOT giving me freakin credit, I am giving THEM money every month... geesh
Message 39 of 43
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Scram, I am with you. I hate those knuckleheads. TG they only report to TU for me. They're killing me. I talked to them and their response is because they are billing us in arrears, and I quote: "where else can you use a service for an entire month and have the company bill you for what you used after the fact?" I have seen thousands of credit reports, and the majority of them have WE-Energies errors present.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.