Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization Question

If your UTL is low and balances on less than 1/2 of open accounts- there is no need to pay early-

I know I have finaly gotten to this point where I no longer have to pay early and still keep UTL down- 

dragracer wrote:
My utilization is usually about 2%.  Would it benefit me to pay before the statement drops?  Can utilization be too low?  How low is too low?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Next question:  I have about 7 open accounts, 2 of which are new and I only opened to get 10% discount at Target/ Steinmart on that day.  What is the upside or downside to keeping these accounts?  To closing these accounts?

Message 12 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I'd keep them if there are no AFs.  They will help with UTI, and make the hard INQ worth it.  You never know when you might want to use these 2 cards again to take advantage of a sale or code that is only for cardholders.

fused has a very nice informational thread on closing cards.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?message.uid=41393
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.