Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Utilization Question...

Is this is wise Idea and will this help my score...

So my chevron CL is 1000, my bal is 550...

I just got a new Discover with a 5k limit...should I transfer the Chevron bal to the discover thus boosting my score since my utilization would look better since the Discover card has a higher CL?

What do you al think?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization Question...

If you are able to do so, that would make your overall and individual uti 11%. For best scoring results, get it under 10%. If you are able to transfer and pay $100, you would get a nice bump. Once Discover starts reporting, you will see an increase anyway, due to the new overall uti.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Andy77 wrote:
Is this is wise Idea and will this help my score...

So my chevron CL is 1000, my bal is 550...

I just got a new Discover with a 5k limit...should I transfer the Chevron bal to the discover thus boosting my score since my utilization would look better since the Discover card has a higher CL?

What do you al think?

Yes, it will be better for your score, but make sure you consider BT fees that might be involved.

What is the APR on the balance on the Chevron card, what is the BT APR on the Discover card, and how long do you expect it to take you to pay off the $550?

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-07-2008 01:11 PM
Message 3 of 11
Andy77
Valued Contributor

There are no Balance Transfer fees and Discover has zero interest for a yr.
I imagine I could pay it off within a few months....financially it makes more sense to do this, but how much of a score increase do you think I would be getting?
Message 4 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Andy, do the simulator and pull down the dropdown menu for 3 months. It will give you a pretty accurate score range.

Message 5 of 11
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Well I bit the bullet and paid off every card....so now I will have zero revolving debt and 97% utilizaiton on 2 installment accounts...

Having such a high utilizaiton on installment accounts looks better then high on revolving accounts right?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Andy77 wrote:
Well I bit the bullet and paid off every card....so now I will have zero revolving debt and 97% utilizaiton on 2 installment accounts...

Having such a high utilizaiton on installment accounts looks better then high on revolving accounts right?

Yes, not only does it look better, but FICO will not ding you nearly as much for it, either.

For maximum FICO points, let your revolving utilization be 1-9% rather than $0.

Message 7 of 11
Andy77
Valued Contributor

This is one thing that is holding me back from a higher score regarding the two installment loans:

Your FICO score weighs the balances of your non-mortgage installment loans (such as auto loan or student loans) against the original loan amounts. In general, when you first obtain an installment loan your balance is high, and as you pay this loan down, the balance decreases.

I guess that is saying my installment loan balances are too high....and this is dinging my score...I wonder how much?

What do you think?

Message 8 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Andy77 wrote:

The installment uti doesn't hurt very bad (it's less risky). You want less than half of your total open accounts to carry a balance. Yet, you might want to have ONE of your cards report a small balance 1-9% utilization on the ONE card, not all.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agre with ByrdMan.  Revolving utilization is a much larger factor in FICO scoring than installment utilization.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.