Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question

tag
tim2
Contributor

Utilization Question

What is the ideal utilization percentage?

And is it calculated as a whole or individual accounts? So can you have one card maxed out but if all other cards have a zero balance you will still be good?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Question

There are at least four utilization factors:

1.  Overall utilization.

2.  Maxed out cards.

3.  Individual card utilization.

4.  Proportion of cards reporting balances.

I would not max out single cards.

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tim2 wrote:

And is it calculated as a whole or individual accounts? So can you have one card maxed out but if all other cards have a zero balance you will still be good?

To add what user23482 stated, when myFICO was still on Beacon 5.0 I lost on the order of 14 points for having a single card maxxed out on my FICO score.  Might have been slightly less than that (as my aggregate utilization was higher than 10% but less than 30% both times, good but not theoretically optimal), but tested it twice with exactly the same results.  This was with my mixed file which hsa some derogatories littering it: for someone with a clean sheet, the penalty would likely be harsher.

If you need to max a tradeline temporarily it's not a real problem outside of the temporary drop in score; however, I wouldn't make a habit of it nor would I leave it in that state for any longer than necessary.

        
Message 3 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@tim2 wrote:

Ideal utilization (according to the MyFico religion) is between 1% and 9% reporting on ONLY ONE card. You have to find your own sweet spot in that range.

In the real world, for those not trying to squeeze every possible point they can get into their FICO scores, anything under 10% overall utilization is considered respectable and every credit advice article you read in the mainstream will say always to keep overall credit card utilization under 30%.

In general it's best to avoid ever maxing out even one card, though as has already been said, you can do it for a very short time if you must.

Message 4 of 8
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@tim2 wrote:

To add what user23482 stated, when myFICO was still on Beacon 5.0 I lost on the order of 14 points for having a single card maxxed out on my FICO score.  Might have been slightly less than that (as my aggregate utilization was higher than 10% but less than 30% both times, good but not theoretically optimal), but tested it twice with exactly the same results.  This was with my mixed file which hsa some derogatories littering it: for someone with a clean sheet, the penalty would likely be harsher.

If you need to max a tradeline temporarily it's not a real problem outside of the temporary drop in score; however, I wouldn't make a habit of it nor would I leave it in that state for any longer than necessary.

During your tests what % did you consider maxed out on a single card?

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@avggoal700 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@tim2 wrote:

I hit 99.87% and 99.93% respectively.  

If I weren't breaking in two new cards I'd be strongly tempted to take a convenience check on my rarely used BOFA tradeline and try the tests again at varying different percentages during their 6 months no interest period because I'm sort of curious what the cutoff point is now after a bunch of confusion on the forums regarding it.

        
Message 6 of 8
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@avggoal700 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@tim2 wrote:

If I weren't breaking in two new cards I'd be strongly tempted to take a convenience check on my rarely used BOFA tradeline and try the tests again at varying different percentages during their 6 months no interest period because I'm sort of curious what the cutoff point is now after a bunch of confusion on the forums regarding it.

Interesting.   I have a card at 92.22% and another at 87% with the rest at 0%, I wonder how much that is affecting my score.

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@avggoal700 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@avggoal700 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@tim2 wrote:

Interesting.   I have a card at 92.22% and another at 87% with the rest at 0%, I wonder how much that is affecting my score.

Probably non-trivially: if that's a Wally TU in your sheet, and you intend to pay off the cards anyway, maybe try moving one down each month by 10% and see where you get bumps? Smiley Happy.

Hard to isolate the test, my ideal time would be around May next year if I were to try it, AAoA should've ticked over to 3 years, all my inquiries will be gone, and no tradeline anniversaries coming up... bout the best test environment I could create myself.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.