cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization and Paying Down Debt - Check my rationale...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization and Paying Down Debt - Check my rationale...

I have a cc that is only in my name. My husband and I also have two cc that are in his name with me being an uthorized user. I want to pay down my debt to improve both of our utilization ratios and thus improve our scores.

Is utilization just revolving debt? And is it calculated as a whole?

I'm thinking that to improve both of our scores I would be wiser to pay on his accounts that have me as an authorized user, rahter than pay down my individual account and only improving my utilization. (His accounts have higher interest rates than mine too!)

Is this correct thinking???
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Utilization and Paying Down Debt - Check my rationale...

AU is going away soon, so unless you will become a co-signer, you should do your own first  Smiley Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know about the authorized user change coming up, but I'm thinking we'll be applying for a mortgage before that impacts us greatly.
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Utili is factored for revolving and installment. Revolving is far more important. Also remember that Util is not only calculated as a whole, but on each indiv TL as well.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.