cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization % and rounding? Single account and aggregate?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization % and rounding? Single account and aggregate?

@Anonymous wrote:

I do find it interesting that monitoring services like CK, CCT, etc all include dollar amounts (both balances and limits) into their numbers, charts/graphs but FICO 08 scoring doesn't include them.

It's just data presentation, each service is going to create their UI independently.  

        
Message 11 of 16
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

t signed Re: Utilization % and rounding? Single account and aggregate?

Finally got signed up for Credit Scorecard and this is how my EX FICO per Credit Scorecard is counting my utilization:

You've used $12.00 of your revolving credit and your revolving utilization is 1%.

However, here is my individual and aggregate utilization percentages, calculated by me:

Individual Utilization: 0.082%

Aggregate Utilization: 0.016%

My individual utilization is eight-hundreth of a percent and my aggregate is one-hundreth of a percent, but FICO is saying 1%

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: t signed Re: Utilization % and rounding? Single account and aggregate?

Nice data point that shows that essentially anything greater than zero rounds up to 1%, with the only exception being whatever the minimum may be for that creditor such as Discover and $3.00, I believe; if you leave $2.99 to report they report zero.  I'm sure other creditors have their minimums as well.

Message 13 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you guys may have nailed it with the AU idea.  The account is a joint account; I co-signed on the card for someone else so it is on my report as "joint" even though it is listed as a revolving credit card.  I suppose that has to be the reason.  It does however on CCT and other monitoring services include that $242 balance as well as the $9600 credit limit into my total utilization, so I always figured it was factored into my scoring.  Good to know that going forward I can ignore this account and will just leave a small balance on one of my other revolvers.  I'm glad I figured this out now, as that $242 will be paid off and that card closed within the next few weeks and then I wouldn't have ever known.

BBS - Just to clarify

As far as I know joint accounts are always included in Fico analysis - it is only AU accounts that are conditional under Fico 08 but, joint accounts are rare so I can't conform based on available data. THe reason for unconditional inclusion is that you actually are responsible for debt on the account as a joint designee even if you don't use it.

https://www.creditsesame.com/blog/uncategorized/authorized-user-vs-joint-credit-card-better-way-to-build-credit/

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure about that though, TT, as the data point I referenced above sort of nullifies that.  If the only account of mine that had a current reported balance above 0 was in fact this joint account, yet I took the scoring points hit, it would mean to me that FICO doesn't include this joint account with respect to aggregate utilization.

Message 15 of 16
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Good thread - thanks everybody for the info.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.