cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization drop = bump in TU and EQ, 13 point drop in EX???

tag
madredejames
Established Member

Utilization drop = bump in TU and EQ, 13 point drop in EX???

Am I just not understanding the score "alerts" correctly? Got this update today. A credit card balance dropped from $2880 to $901. The alerts indicated a good bump on TU and EQ scores but a 13 point drop on EX. The alert shows this change and a red arrow showing a 13 point drop. Did this action really cause my score to drop, or is the "alert" really about something else? I can't understand how lowering a balance causes a boost on two CBs and a big drop on another. FICO scoring really confuses me.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization drop = bump in TU and EQ, 13 point drop in EX???

@madredejames wrote:

Am I just not understanding the score "alerts" correctly? Got this update today. A credit card balance dropped from $2880 to $901. The alerts indicated a good bump on TU and EQ scores but a 13 point drop on EX. The alert shows this change and a red arrow showing a 13 point drop. Did this action really cause my score to drop, or is the "alert" really about something else? I can't understand how lowering a balance causes a boost on two CBs and a big drop on another. FICO scoring really confuses me.

Quite possibly something else; for the last month or so EX has flat out sucked in terms of reporting speed: TU has all my accounts even in the monitoring solution and EX is missing several.  I haven't verified with another source but I find it hard to believe that Chase has reported my mortgage and it's in both EQ and TU's dataset and not in EX's... think their monitoring solution may be borked.

        
Message 2 of 6
olivegirl
Regular Contributor

All three of my scores dropped as well,...same reason, paid down some balances, paid off a couple of cards with small balances and  use of a dormant credit card, have'nt purhased anything in a while, i.e., 2-3 months on the two cards that I used. Pretty much it. EX 14 point drop, EQ, 9 point drop and TU 3 point drop...Tired of watching scores... whne it seems that I ma moving forward...EX, EQ and TU knocks you back diwn and EX is the leader of the credit score killers...SMH...Its a game  and the rewards go to whom they choose...it seems that when your scores become almost legitimate enough to qualify for your dream card(s)....out of the darkness the credit score killers come..."Seize her scores now".......before she can apply and live happily ever after....Oh, did I mention that I am a comedienne? LOL!!! 

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@olivegirl wrote:

All three of my scores dropped as well,...same reason, paid down some balances, paid off a couple of cards with small balances and  use of a dormant credit card, have'nt purhased anything in a while, i.e., 2-3 months on the two cards that I used. Pretty much it. EX 14 point drop, EQ, 9 point drop and TU 3 point drop...Tired of watching scores... whne it seems that I ma moving forward...EX, EQ and TU knocks you back diwn and EX is the leader of the credit score killers...SMH...Its a game  and the rewards go to whom they choose...it seems that when your scores become almost legitimate enough to qualify for your dream card(s)....out of the darkness the credit score killers come..."Seize her scores now".......before she can apply and live happily ever after....Oh, did I mention that I am a comedienne? LOL!!! 

Grin I could make so many crass jokes about the card issuers, but fact is their UW guidelines are falling way faster than virtually anyone's scores (that doesn't get a recent outright derogatory on their files at any rate).  Said dream card is probably closer than you think.

        
Message 4 of 6
olivegirl
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement!

Onward and upward is my mantra...it has ben a bumpy ride..but I still have the wheel...LOL!! Not quite on cruise control, using GPS, some destinations were worth the trip while others have left me wondering why I ever stopped by....Oh well... still traveling cross country and mostly enjoying the trip! Oh..did I mention that i can be cryptic at times also? LOL!!!

Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

Quite possibly something else; for the last month or so EX has flat out sucked in terms of reporting speed: TU has all my accounts even in the monitoring solution and EX is missing several.  I haven't verified with another source but I find it hard to believe that Chase has reported my mortgage and it's in both EQ and TU's dataset and not in EX's... think their monitoring solution may be borked.

Yes, EX is having issues. I've seen a 17 point jump for a single $100 change in a balance, but other updates that have no score change, and irregular updates on EX score over the last two months in general.

OP, what else has happened in your file in the last couple of months? Was EX ignoring those, while EQ and TU may have been updating?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.