cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization memory (or lack of, it question)

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Utilization memory (or lack of, it question)

I've read that utilization per se has no memory, but my question is, does the algorithm itself treats individual profiles differently  when utilization pattern changes (indicating that some memory is retained on that particular profile ), such as somebody who always reports ultra low balances starts spiking at 30% or more,  e.g having additional penalty in addition to utilization bracket change?  

I guess what I'm trying to ask (albeit quite inarticulately) is how much, if any, pattern recognition plays the role in scoring or would the changes in scoring (penalty) be attributable only to brackets in which newly reported utilization falls. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Utilization memory (or lack of, it question)

wrote:

I've read that utilization per se has no memory, but my question is, does the algorithm itself treats individual profiles differently  when utilization pattern changes (indicating that some memory is retained on that particular profile ), such as somebody who always reports ultra low balances starts spiking at 30% or more,  e.g having additional penalty in addition to utilization bracket change?  

I guess what I'm trying to ask (albeit quite inarticulately) is how much, if any, pattern recognition plays the role in scoring or would the changes in scoring (penalty) be attributable only to brackets in which newly reported utilization falls. 

None

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The algorithm only looks at utilization at that exact moment in time.  No history.  It's just snapshot.  Think of it as putting two paper towel tubes over your eyes; what it sees is very limited.  Someone could be at 90% utilization for a decade and drop it to 50% and someone else could be at 1% utilization for a decade and raise it to 50%.  All things being equal on their profiles, their scores would be identical if pulled once that 50% utilization reported.

Message 3 of 7
sto0pyd
Regular Contributor

This is a question that's somewhat related to the topic Smiley Happy Would my credit score be adversely affected if one card has a utilization ratio of ~53%, but with an of overall utilization of ~3%? I have a revolving balance of ~$6k that I'll need about 5 months to pay off. Comenity/Total Rewards sent me an offer to transfer the balance over with no fees @ 0% until June 2019. So I'm guessing, I might as well not stress out in paying the balance off in full in 5 months if I'm going to be given a little over a year to pay it off at no cost. I want to accept the offer, but the limit on the card is only at $ 11,500. I've tried requesting an increase without an inquiry but am getting denied Smiley Sad  I have no major purchases planned within the next year, but I don't want my FICO to take a dip because of the high utilization on one card.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I have no major purchases planned within the next year, but I don't want my FICO to take a dip because of the high utilization on one card.

Why is it a problem if your FICO goes down temporarily?  The key thing is that you aren't planning to buy a car or a house or anything like that and therefore (key point) you do not need your score for anything.

But the answer to your question is that FICO does care about individual utilization (each card considered by itself).  The penalty for being above 49% might be fairly small, and it might go away completely when you get your card to under 48.9% -- though I wouldn't count on it disappearing until each card is under 28.9%.

Message 5 of 7
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

To be fair, creditors do CLD/close accounts if a score decrease or util increase raises a red flag for them. I'm not sure I'd say we don't need our score for anything unless we're actively seeking credit.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair, creditors do CLD/close accounts if a score decrease or util increase raises a red flag for them. I'm not sure I'd say we don't need our score for anything unless we're actively seeking credit.

Score decrease yes, utilization increase not likely.  99% of the time AA is taken in the form of a CLD it's because of a late payment.  As we all know, a late payment causes a large score drop... but most importantly, it suggests to all of your lenders that you aren't able to pay your bills.  That's a huge red flag and one that prompts AA.

Utilization increases rarely result in AA in and of themselves.  I know someone that's been at 94%-96% aggregate utilization for over a year now across 8-9 credit cards and none of them have taken AA (no CLDs) because they make at least the minimum payments every month.  Most creditors are completely content with sitting back and collecting interest month after month, so long as the card holder is making on-time payments.  One missed payment is all it takes though and once it's reported as late it's game on for all creditors to start slashing away.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.