Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization ratio question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization ratio question

I'm newer, and I don't understand the utilization portion of scoring. I have a few cards, and about 14,000 in available revolving credit. One of the cards is a furniture store card, that has a 3000 limit and we bought a set that cost 4500, so we used the available limit on the card and paid the rest. So I'm using 100% of the balance ON THAT CARD, but overall I'm just using 20%{+\-} of my balance....how does that affect me? Does it score each card as how much is utilized or your total available? Thanks for helping it you can!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization ratio question

You are at max for one of your cards, yes, this will have some affect on your score, what that affect is, however, is a YMMV type of thing.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks shogun, any other thoughts, clarifying tips or formulas from additional contributors are also welcomed.
Message 3 of 6
Quips
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm newer, and I don't understand the utilization portion of scoring. I have a few cards, and about 14,000 in available revolving credit. One of the cards is a furniture store card, that has a 3000 limit and we bought a set that cost 4500, so we used the available limit on the card and paid the rest. So I'm using 100% of the balance ON THAT CARD, but overall I'm just using 20%{+\-} of my balance....how does that affect me? Does it score each card as how much is utilized or your total available? Thanks for helping it you can!

FICO does give some score wieght to each cards individual utilization and to your revolving utilization in total. Some of the things I have found in monitoring my score over the years is that your score will get dinged for a variety of reasons: a) if you have a "maxed out" credit card (usually 90%+ UTIL), b)if you have balances reporting on more than 50% of your accounts, and c) if you have too many new accounts.  Other notes - my scores improved when UTIL on an individiual card dropped below 50%, then again when below 30% and also at 10%. For Total Utilization, I have seen similar results with the optimum score being at 9% or lower with only 1 or 2 cards reporting balances.   Hope this helps 

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 4 of 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Or maybe the store card is not used in the utilization. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

@Shogun wrote:

You are at max for one of your cards, yes, this will have some affect on your score.

I confirm this. You can refer to my experience here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guess-the-cause-of-my-score-drop/td-p/1723226/page/6

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.