Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization

tag
swizzle1969
Valued Member

Utilization

Looking for some clarification. I have 4 credit cards all currently at $0 balance. Do I want to go month to month with them reporting $0 balances or do I want to use 1 of the four cards and have it report a small balance. What is better for helping build my score?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization

@swizzle1969 wrote:

Looking for some clarification. I have 4 credit cards all currently at $0 balance. Do I want to go month to month with them reporting $0 balances or do I want to use 1 of the four cards and have it report a small balance. What is better for helping build my score?

Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
swizzle1969
Valued Member

Re: Utilization

Thank you. I'm trying to break that 700 barrier before Applying for a Mortgage. I'll start playing around with balances to see how it affects my score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.