Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization

I need help understanding utilization in credit scoring.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization

It counts as 30 percent of your score..

You divide your credit used into your total available credit and you get your usage.  

So someone with 10k credit limit and is spending 4k on them, has a utilization of 40%.  The consenus is that on the Fico 08 Scoring Model, anything under 30% is good.  Higher utilizations in the 80s are deemed to be moving close to being "maxed out". Not a good thing.  However, the lower the utilization the better.  For myself, anything under 10% gets you the win.  Some have said that you need to keep your utilization low on just one card and not show a zeo balance on all of  your cards, while others say that it's okay to have low balances on several cards?  

There are others who can tell you more and in greater detail about when to pay your cards to get the best optimization of score, but that is the general answer.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok now i understand. So thats what the whole not using no more than 30 percent on each card but youre saying using even less helps credit more?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok now i understand. So thats what the whole not using no more than 30 percent on each card but youre saying using even less helps credit more?

Yes, if are below 30% you are likened to a .300 hitter in baseball and that's good.  If you are at a much lower number like 8 percent, you are like a .370 hitter and you are on the road to the Hall of Fame!  Less is more in this case.  

Now, there is a debate over keeping a balance on just one card?  I am not sure of such?  I've had balances showing on all my cards but the total my scores went up due to my 2% utilization.  This month with my new cards, I showed a balance of 6% on my cards and my scores have gone down to EQ 745 TU 740 EX 726 due to me showing an increase of more than 200% on one card ($61 to $200) and several new accounts and inquires.   It was expected on my part.  I am not looking to shop for a card until the summer/fall so I can no just garden and watch my scores go back up.  

Also, there have been several members here who discuss being in a scoring bucket  So doing certain things will put you in one bucket versus another and at the top range or lower range of that bucket?  In my case, I see myself jumping in score over the next 6-9 months minus any catastrophic events like a late payment to the 760-780 range.  Ido not see 800 happening due to my AAoA is currently 1.34 years due to the addition of the new accounts.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.