Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantage scoring volatility?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vantage scoring volatility?

I've been checking my scores periodically on Credit Karma.  Though my FICO (my real FICO) has gone up 20 points in the past few months, my Vantage score as reported on Credit Karma dropped 60 points!

My utilization has gone WAY down, collections have been removed entirely- the only thing that's changed is the addition of 3 inquiries...

Does Vantage do the bucketing thing?  And even then, is 60 points a reasonable drop considering the above-mentioned factors on my reports?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Vantage scoring volatility?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been checking my scores periodically on Credit Karma.  Though my FICO (my real FICO) has gone up 20 points in the past few months, my Vantage score as reported on Credit Karma dropped 60 points!

My utilization has gone WAY down, collections have been removed entirely- the only thing that's changed are the addition of a 3 inquiries...

Does Vantage do the bucketing thing?  And even then, is 60 points a reasonable drop considering the above-mentioned factors on my reports?

I don't *think* that creditkarma uses Vantage scores. I think they use TU's roll-your-own TransRisk scores. I could well be wrong though. Trying to keep up with FAKO's is a losing battle.

I'm sure you'll get lots of replies speculating about this, but the fact is, no one knows what goes into TransRisk scores or any other FAKO, so it's all kind of blundering around in the dark.

eta: MarineVietvet kindly refreshed my aging brain to remind me that CK sometimes offers one and sometimes the other.

Either that, or they used to use TransRisk, and now they use Vantage.

My apologies, and thanks for the catch, MVV!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Don't listen to CK - No good benefit to you from looking at that score - Also, it just causes stress.  Just My Advice.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

Don't listen to CK - No good benefit to you from looking at that score - Also, it just causes stress.  Just My Advice.

I'm going to take your advice, thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I don't *think* that creditkarma uses Vantage scores. I think they use TU's roll-your-own TransRisk scores. I could well be wrong though. Trying to keep up with FAKO's is a losing battle.

I'm sure you'll get lots of replies speculating about this, but the fact is, no one knows what goes into TransRisk scores or any other FAKO, so it's all kind of blundering around in the dark.

eta: MarineVietvet kindly refreshed my aging brain to remind me that CK sometimes offers one and sometimes the other.

Either that, or they used to use TransRisk, and now they use Vantage.

My apologies, and thanks for the catch, MVV!

No problem!  Thank you so much for your help!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.