cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantagescore or FICO? myFICO TU gives me 686 out of 850, but TU main site gives me 696 out of 990.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vantagescore or FICO? myFICO TU gives me 686 out of 850, but TU main site gives me 696 out of 990.

Also, the TU site says this when I first log in

" TransUnion Credit Monitoring is pleased to feature VantageScore, the only credit score used by all three national credit bureaus. "

So I'm a newbie to all this and confused which source I should use for my scoring. MYFICO says my TU score is "Good" but TU gives me a "D" failing grade.

Both reports have same items.

Which is what and where is which what how huh?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vantagescore or FICO? myFICO TU gives me 686 out of 850, but TU main site gives me 696 out of 99

@Anonymous wrote:

" TransUnion Credit Monitoring is pleased to feature VantageScore, the only credit score used by all three national credit bureaus. "

So I'm a newbie to all this and confused which source I should use for my scoring. MYFICO says my TU score is "Good" but TU gives me a "D" failing grade.

The VantageScore is actually used by a few lenders but it's not a score I would rely on or choose. Also the score range for VS is 501-990 whereas FICO ranges from 300-850.

The bottom line is the VS is not a FICO score. The TU score you get here is a true FICO although it's an older version TU98. Many lenders have moved on to the newer TU 04 and some even to the newst TU08. But TU98 is still pulled millions of times a yer and so is still a valid score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Vantagescore or FICO? myFICO TU gives me 686 out of 850, but TU main site gives me 696 out of 99

@Anonymous wrote:

Note that they mention that it is used by credit bureaus, not used by creditors.    FICO scoring is used by almost all lenders.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Note that they mention that it is used by credit bureaus, not used by creditors.    FICO scoring is used by almost all lenders.

Chase uses the VS to make a few decisions actually.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

----->  Chase uses the VS to make a few decisions actually.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that ~ good to know...Thanks !

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, as recently as December 2011 I see posts here saying use transunioncs.com, not transunion.com

Does CS not exist anymore as of 2012? Everytime I type that address I'm routed to transunion.com and that's where I got my score.

Message 6 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

No, the transunionCS website doesn't seem to exist anymore.  I'm not sure how to get a FICO score from their website.

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

By the way, as recently as December 2011 I see posts here saying use transunioncs.com, not transunion.com

Does CS not exist anymore as of 2012? Everytime I type that address I'm routed to transunion.com and that's where I got my score.

I'm sorry there is that error floating around. Do you remember where you read that? If you do let me know and I will go back and edit the post and if you see that going forward I'd appreciate a heads up or you can contact any mod or administrator.

At one time you could get a TU score at transunioncs.com but it's been quite awhile since that was true.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 10
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not only "used by" all 3 CBs, but IIRC it was invented by them, wasn't it, as a competitor to FICO?

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, invented to compete, but nobody is running with it. And ditto to some of Chase's products, and I even heard of one mortgage lender (not mentioned here) that uses Vantage. The challenge with VantageScore for us consumers is that Vantage excludes AU accounts, whereas FICO does not. There are a lot of couples out there where the husband is the bread-winner and the spouse is exclusively AU. They would be hurt by this model. Or there are some who are new to credit, or even young, who relied on others for that history. VS excludes that.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.