Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY AM I STILL 'BAD??!!

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

WHY AM I STILL 'BAD??!!

I'm still mixed up about some of this myfico scoring stuff, like the red flags and "what's hurting", "what's helping".

DH and I both got new cards in April and/or are AUs on each others new cards, so we each have 8 new accounts.  Actually, 2 of DH's werent apped until May and July, BUT, even though he has the little red flag on his EQ and TU by number of new accounts, his new credit is shown as "not good", but mine is still showing "bad'!Smiley Sad

Neither of us has a red flag by inqs...I have 3 TU, 4 EQ, he has 2 TU and 3 EQ

I'm wondering if I'm still considered bad because my average age of accounts is 5 years compared to his 2 years?    Or  even w/o the red flag, am I bad since I have more inqs??

And how much does this 'bad' designation really hurt my score, and when, oh, when will I get to be not good??!!

I realize reports can have a lot of variables, but ours are very similar with me 13+ yrs history, he has 11, both have PR from 2004, he has 2 med collections from 2003 and I have 2 paid COs from 2003 and 2004.  Both of us have car loan accts back to 1997 with perfect history; these baddies are all there is. 

Other diff is front page.  He's Very Good, Good, Very Good, Not Good, and I'm Good, Very Good, Very Good, BadSmiley Sad

The only other diff I can see is the average age of accts....even utilization is the same at 25%..I know, I know, we're working on that....should be back down in about 4 months...

I posted about this a couple of months ago and general concensus is 3-6 months to go to not good, so I'm disappointed to see I'm still bad.

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WHY AM I STILL 'BAD??!!

The bottom line: fear not.

The inquiries will decay to nil by next spring, which will give you a few points.  Your accounts will age, which will also give you a few points.  Your baddies will recede further into the past, which will give you a few more points.  All-told, you've got nowhere to go but up, and lenders don't see your "Bad" or "Not Bad" or "Marginal" or "Needs Improvement" or "A Little Iffy" or whatever ratings myFICO gives the various subdivisions of your credit.  

Right now, to creditors you look decent.  The number of new accounts and inquiries may raise a few eyebrows, but only some.  By the time you're seriously in the market for new credit, that won't be an issue.

Message 2 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks so much, New World!

What an encouraging response!!Smiley Happy

Guess I'm worrying too much about these fico explanations, flags etc.

I'm just so anxious to be a full fledged member of the 700 club.... EQ has never made it, hence my siggy quote.

And I really, really want to get over the 720 hump since my understanding is that's the new 680, and then after that (give or take 12-24 months!) I want to be over 760 so I can finally feel like I have some breathing room, and can quit obessing about fico scores and just concentrate on being fiscally sound and responsible!!

Thanks again for the uplifting reply!!!!!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The bottom line: fear not.

Right now, to creditors you look decent.  The number of new accounts and inquiries may raise a few eyebrows, but only some.  By the time you're seriously in the market for new credit, that won't be an issue.

Uhoh.....I've just reread your post and this brings up another question.  We actually are going to be 'seriously in the market for new credit" as our 95 Aerostar (obviously our egos aren't tied to the kind od car we drive!) is on its last cylinder so we have got to get a "new" used car.

Given our scores and taking into account these other factors in our reports, would it be better for DH to get the loan just in his name since his seems better able to take the impact??  Or would his score be hurt a lot more than mine since mine are a little higher??

We're not sure what type of loan....dealer financing (afraid of the 50 inqs we'll probably get), regular car loan from bank (banker advised about 8% rates) or HELOC, as banker suggested as rate would be about 7% or so.

Would one type or the other hurt our scores more??  We know we're going to get some kind of a hit either way, and from what I've read on this forum it could be 30 points are more, which is really scary.  Unfortunately, we have no choice but to get a loan for a vehicle, but we are going to go as cheap as possible, hopefully under 10K.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!!

Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

rom828 wrote:

I'm still mixed up about some of this myfico scoring stuff, like the red flags and "what's hurting", "what's helping".

DH and I both got new cards in April and/or are AUs on each others new cards, so we each have 8 new accounts.  Actually, 2 of DH's werent apped until May and July, BUT, even though he has the little red flag on his EQ and TU by number of new accounts, his new credit is shown as "not good", but mine is still showing "bad'!Smiley Sad

Neither of us has a red flag by inqs...I have 3 TU, 4 EQ, he has 2 TU and 3 EQ

I'm wondering if I'm still considered bad because my average age of accounts is 5 years compared to his 2 years?    Or  even w/o the red flag, am I bad since I have more inqs??

Bingo, I think it's the average age thing.

When your credit is very young, as is his, you can actually gain points immediately with new accounts, because the formula "wants" you to have 3-4 CC's. Once you're a bit more seasoned, as are you, getting a bunch of new accounts in a limited time looks more alarming.

rom828 wrote:

Uhoh.....I've just reread your post and this brings up another question. We actually are going to be 'seriously in the market for new credit" as our 95 Aerostar (obviously our egos aren't tied to the kind od car we drive!) is on its last cylinder so we have got to get a "new" used car.

Given our scores and taking into account these other factors in our reports, would it be better for DH to get the loan just in his name since his seems better able to take the impact?? Or would his score be hurt a lot more than mine since mine are a little higher??

One option is for you to come off of one or two of the AU cards temporarily. Look for card(s) with lower limits than the others, among the most recently opened. That might lower the newness sting you're currently experiencing.

I'd go visit a credit union and ask their advice about whose name should be on the loan. I'm normally not a fan of joint accounts, other than on mortgages, but if you have no installment accounts on your reports, it would help to have it.

I hope I wasn't one of those who forecast a 30-point drop for a car loan. If I did, I apologize. I don't think it would be that bad. I did have a ding when my new car loan posted at 100%, but as best as I can tell, it went away the next month. (That was back when I took a chainsaw to my credit, so it's hard to untangle scoring cause and effect.) If you have FICO scores from within the last 30 days, what do the EQ and TU sims say if you click the "get an auto loan" scenario?

Another thing to remember is that the "not good" and "bad" and whatnot are appearing only on your myFICO report, as a form of consumer education, I suppose. While lenders certainly do look at scores first, they then go on and look at the underlying report. If your score is lowered because of the presence of new accounts, but you don't have new baddies, that's a lot better than a report with no new accounts and one or two nice, fresh late payments. My guess (only a guess) is that auto dealers aren't as bothered by "seeking new credit" as are CC companies. It's not as if you went out and snapped up 8 new-to-you vehicles and are now checking out #9.

Besides, the way that car dealers are getting slaughtered by the Wall Street disaster, I'm sure that they'll be motivated to make the deal go at acceptable terms. Hope so for your sake, anyway.

Fingers crossed that your grocery-grabber can keep running on one long enough!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

OP as Hauling has suggested go the credit union route for the new car as it will only be one inquiry so long as you make it clear you have the money in hand. Your EX is good enough for Tier 1 as far as Toyota is concerned. All they require is 650 but if you go the credit union route and avoid Patelco it will only cost you 1 Equifax inquiry. You should qualify for rates in the high 4's to the mid 6's at worst. For a 25K loan the difference is less than 30 bucks top to bottom. Not sure about Pentagon Federal's charge for GAP but Navy Federal is anywhere from 100-250 and they will throw that charge on the loan. Good luck you are on the right track.
Message 6 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for all this good advice, hauling and smallfry!  And I'm sorry if I should have made all these loan and scoring questions another thread....I have strayed some from my OP regarding the "bad" situation.

htsu, did as you suggested and wow! If DH does the loan, it does show a potential hit of 30 points on both TU and EQ, ie TU is now 694 (just ran new report) and w/simulated auto loan (did various amt's--didnt have any diff in impact), projected score is 664-694.Smiley Surprised

So worse case he gets a huge ding, or best case, no ding!  Someone said in a post one time to always go by the lower number in the simulator projections as it was most often 'truest', and if that's the case....OUCH!!

Simulator for me on both EQ and TU is 15 point loss or 5 point gain (ie TU now 704, shows a change to 689 to 709), so looks like wouldnt hurt me as bad.  But I bet I'll stay "bad" a good while longer if the loan is on me!!Smiley Very Happy

If you newly join a credit union, can you borrow for a car right away? Don't they have some kind of "waiting" period before they would issue a loan? Oh, and htsu, from another thread where this cae up, my daughter checked w/USAA (she and hubby are members)  and we're not "immediate family" enough.  Smiley SadI've read about Penfed and Navy here on the forum, but not studied any of it in detail.  Used to belong to CU years ago though employment, and really appreciated great customer service, etc.but never borrowed from them and  didn't keep up affiliation when we moved years ago (small local CU).

smallfry mentioned much lower rates than what bank advised and what is even shown here on fico for our scores.  Are those credit union rates specifically?  I know dealers are hurting right now and we could probably get good cashback   or maybe low interest financing on a new car,   but we really don't want to bite off huge chunk of debt right now.  We've always paid cars off in 2-3 years if we didn't pay cash,  (that's why DH's credit is so young---he's always been more the "cash on the barrel" type!!) and want to do so again if possible, so has to be cheap!  And I'm afraid of them putting tons of inqs on my report; even if they count as "one" they're still on there!

And we want to get utilization back down from the 22-25% range where it climbed since we had daughter and granddaughter w/us while son- in- love is deployed. Our helping out, though, did enable them to save some money and they just bought their first house and she's moving in this month and he'll be home in December, so "it's all good"!!  Smiley Happy

We've got to move on this car thing asap, though, as this poor old van has just had it.  It literally is running on 5 cylinders!!  We'd really like to do something this weekend but need to get our financial ducks in a row, so we'll just pray it can keep chuggin' along a little longer!!

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think it was pizza who said to always go with the lower number on the range, but he has insanely high scores, so that might be sort of unique to him. I find that my changes are typically right in the middle of the range. So 700 - 720, I expect around 710; 700 - 730, I expect around 715.

Yes, I think the family relationships for USAA go from older to younger, so a mother can sign up her daughter, but not vice versa. Navy seems to cheerfully welcome just about any kin, as long as the actual service member (or other qualifying employment member) has joined. They have great rates, as smallfry posted. With PenFed, you don't have to be military at all or have any connection to the military or to the government. I joined the NMFA (National Military Families Association), and got in that way.

Most of the score info on PenFed that I've seen here has been in relation to their lovely, lovely gas card, but I *think* I've seen a few posts about scores for auto loans. Your EQ score itself looks good, but I'm afraid I can't remember what else you've got going on. Smiley Sad

Off the top of my head, I'd say it's easier to get an auto loan with Navy if you qualify, but they're both fantastic organizations.

I'll leave the rest to smallfry, since he had such great service from NFCU while awaiting the tow truck. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Rom the Toyota dealer showed me the Toyota Vehicle Leasing quote of 4.9%. This was for Tier 1 which only required a 650 Experian score. Most dealers will let you drive off the lot with just a faxed promise from the credit union to overnight the check. Mine would not so the salesman drove me a few miles to the closest Navy Federal branch a few towns over. This might have been a problem for me if I wanted to go with Penfed and wanted to drive the car home that night. Penfed's rates might have been a bit lower but I might have had to wait a few days for the car. Since I absolutely needed the car for the work the next day I went with Navy. I would most definitely go the credit union route since you will only get dinged for one inquiry pull. I have seen rates as low as 3.75% from Agricultural Federal Credit Union but I have no idea how long their process would take. I joined a few months ago and was not happy with their CSR. That is the lowest rate I have seen with the exception of the teasers from local car dealers. Who knows what models those rates apply to. 
Message 9 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks again hstsu and smallfry! 

From what y'all (yes, Georgia) are saying, a credit union is probably my best bet.  I'm going to do some more reading on the forum to see what I can find out about Penfed as far as baddies, new credit etc.   Navy would require my sil's help (he'd need to join first) and he's in Iraq and won't be home for 2-4 months.

We're still seesawing between new and used.  We've historically gone used since "back in the day" DH sold cars and is fully aware of the depreciation aspect, but he's even thinking with some of the deals out there, might be something to consider.  Not sure how good the dealer finacing would be on used, and I'm so afraid of all the pulls they'd probably put on my report!

Push come to shove (and if we don't act soon we will definitely be pushing our car!) we could always do what we have to now to get in the car and then maybe refinance with CU if we cant qualify right away.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.