cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DID SCORE DROP WITH SAME INFO AS BEFORE?!?!?

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

WHY DID SCORE DROP WITH SAME INFO AS BEFORE?!?!?

I hope someone will be able to shed some light on my situation!   My score has dropped to 654 (!!!!)  and I can't figure why. 

I know the presence of the CFA can mean the report's getting cleaner so it's  digging for 'bads" (think htsu advised that), so trying to look at that a potential good thing.

Still hard for me to come to grips with the bucket thing, though.  My only 700 w/EQ was 2 yrs ago  when I still had 2 major delinqs, and the PR.   As the majors dropped off, I saw my score go down...though I do understand that this better bucket (PR only) will clear the way for higher scores. Just seems 'off'.  And I'm really worried about what kind of hit I'll get when the PR drops in April.

And I understand utilization is 'key',  so expected some change as it fluctuated, though I thought biggest changes occurred on the '9s', ie 9%, 19% 49% etc.

But I can't understand why my score dropped so much when the info on the report is virtually identical to one with a higher score. 

I'm sorry this post is so lengthy, but I need to show the progression.     I've highlighted changes for each report.  Note: these are all FICO EQ.

Sept 8th :  682  Bad= 1) PR  2) short acct hist (15 yr 5  mo/4 yr)  3) heavy  usage 27%

Good =  1) no missed pyts    2) not seeking credit (2 inqs)   3)  old PR

16 out of 29 with balance (flag)        2 new accts

Sept 21:    663  Bad= 1)PR     2) heavy  37%     3) short hist   4) consumer finance acct (1)                

Good=  no missed and not seeking (1 inq)

17/29 w/balance (flag)     2 new

Util higher--2nd in importance this report , history  3rd and CTF acct is mentioned

Sept 28:   663  Bad =  1) PR  2) High 34%  3)short hist  4)  CFA acct

Good: same as before

17/29 w/bal (flag)  2 new

util lower

Oct 14th: 679  Bad = 1) PR  2) Short 15yr 6 mos/4yr  3) heavy 34%  4)CFA

Good=  same as before              17/29 w/balance (flag)   2 new

history #2     util #3 

Oct 28th: 679 Bad = 1) PR  2) short  3) heavy 31%  4) CFA

Good = same as before  15/29 w bal (flag)   2 new

Nov 8th:  654  Bad = 1) PR  2) high 34%  3) short hist  4) CFA

Good = same as before          14/29 w/bal (flag)    2 new

util went to #2 and short went to #3

I just don't understand this drop!!  Utilization is only 3% more on latest report, but it moved  to #2 spot. Even so, report from Sept 28th with score of 663 is identical to Nov 8th  report w/exception of accts w/balances (34% utilization in #2 spot).   There's still a flag by number of accts w/balances, so even tho it's lower, I'm assuming that still designates it as a negative. 

I'm very appreciative of any thoughts and advices anyone's willing to share!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: WHY DID SCORE DROP WITH SAME INFO AS BEFORE?!?!?

Since the score dropped from one month (October) to the next (November), quick question:

What are your AAoA and oldest account on the before-and-after scores? An increased util from 31% to 34% would be odd to trigger this big a drop, although it could happen, I guess.

I'm looking at an age re-bucketing, where either your AAoA or oldest (or both) moved up a level, and now you're being compared against those with longer histories.

No, never mind, it's not rebucketing, because you're in the presence-of-a-PR bucket, and age won't change that until the PR is gone.

But what were your before and after ages anyway?

Also, if you have a lot of accounts, both open and closed, compare each of them, and make sure that all are on both reports. A split file could also account for this, perhaps due to an older account popping on and off or something similar.

Or EQ has kindly lost one of your older closed accounts earlier than 10 years, as they like to do.  Smiley Tongue  Smiley Mad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 14
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for replying, hauling! 

I've gone over these reports with a fine tooth comb!! 

My 'short' history is 15 yrs 5 mos w/ AAoA 4 yrs as of the  Sept report, and Nov report is 15 yrs 7 mos/AAoA 4 yrs, so that didnt change (though I have experienced having good TLs drop off due to age, so I know what you mean about that).

I know there've been a lot of bucket discussions (ie: are they.... PR + derog, PR only, derog only, etc),  so I thought maybe the drop a while back was that I moved from a PR w/other major derogs to just PR. 

The two reports appear identical:   34% usage shown  in 2nd place, 15 yrs/4yrs, 2 new accounts, 1 inq.....the ONLY change I can see is # of accounts with balances on the November report  is lower at 14 of 29...but it still has a flag.   I went item by item and account by account. 

One thing I didn't mention: Nov utilization went to 34% because with the Kroger 123 change to USBank, the account reported as closed (I learned about that on this forum!) so I disputed it.  Without the Kroger CL (which is not being counted either or both because it is reporting as closed and is in dispute),  usage went to 34%.  But  just the fact that it's in dispute shouldnt change anything, should it???

This is so maddening for me! Smiley Mad As I mentioned, I thought it was you that had advised in another post that the presence of CFA cited as 'bad' can be a good thing in the long run because it means they're starting to look for 'criticisms', and all I have left is the PR and usage and history.    Because of that, I figured maybe things would be looking up scorewise, especially once I get utilization  where it needs to be (fiscally and fico-ly).  Simulator has been showing me with a 50-60  point increase in "1 month" for the last 2-3 months(!) so I  guess I can't  go by that!

It's so hard to come to terms with the fact that my score keeps going down the cleaner it gets!! I know, I know...the buckets...aarrgghhh..I hate buckets!! But it doesnt seem like this is a bucket thing, does it??

What's making me crazy  is for the same info to be scored differently.  I just can't see that I'm missing anything when I compare, so I can only assume that for some reason, FICO hates me worse in November than in October!Smiley Tongue

And when that PR (my only baddie) drops inthe spring,  will I go to 500?!?!!?

edited to add:  just ran TU and it's still  696 w/same history and  utilization as EQ  and 1 inq.  Only difference I see is  15/25 accounts w/balances and Kroger is not shown as closed. Utilization is 34% though,  just like EQ.  TU likes me better I guess....although I don't ever get that much of a gain on the TU simulator.

Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It looks like there is some quality in the Kroger 1-2-3 card that has been temporarily lost via the dispute.

There seem to be two types of disputes, one that removes the tradeline from scoring consideration, and the other leaves it in there. I find this deeply bizarre, but I know it happens. I have a Sears MC (closed) with a dispute that I never asked for --I tried for GW, and they reported a GW instead --and that late is ignored for scoring. My reports say that my most recent late is something like 5 1/2 years back, instead of 3 1/2 years, even though the late still displays, flag and all. But other members dispute accounts with lates, and everything still shows up on their report comments, and their scores aren't affected.

Is your Kroger card way older than your AAoA? Does it have a really high CL? Is it a squeaky clean TL, and with it "gone", you have fewer clean TL's? Something, anything, that makes it different from most of the rest of your accounts?

There's something about it that was important to your score. The fact that your scores dropped when the dispute hit, plus the fact that the dispute is NOT on TU, and that score hasn't changed, makes this conclusion awfully hard to escape.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
rom828
Established Contributor

I got this card in June of 2009, so it's almost 1 1/2 yrs old.  My AAofA is 4 yrs.

It has a $2500 CL  and no negatives.  Absolutely the only baddie on my report is the PR.....no lates, no CO, nothing.

This is probably one of the strangest (and most frustrating) things I've had come up with my reports/score...and I've had some doozies!  I've had to dispute info on other TLs before, and I've never had such a negative consequence.  

I'm just stymied.  But it sounds like you are, too.....so this has  to be a really odd siutation....given your experience and expertise.  I just can't imagine what would make this particular TL have such an impact.

The USBank CSR advised that they report the first 2 weeks of the month, so it will be interesting to see what happens when they report.  From what she advised (as I posted on another thread), the USBank will report as new and the RSB as closed,  but no new cards will be issued. 

I should have called before disputing, but I was following the lead of another poster when I decided to dispute the account showing as closed, and she hasn't reported back any such dire outcome as what I've seen.

I'm hoping that when USBank reports the 'new' TL  and/or the dispute is resolved, my score will rebound some.  I guess the reason for the big dip will  remain a mystery.

On a side note, am I correct that this very first mention of a CFA (and it's on an old car loan  account almost 10 yrs old) can be considered a good thing in that it might indicate fewer things to show as 'bad' and thus meaning I'm getting closer to potential for higher scores??

As mentioned, the simulator (I know, I know) has shown me with a 50 or more point increase ("in 1 month, in 3 mos") for the last  2-3 months, so I want to believe that someday soon I can be firmly in the 700+ club.  I've had TU there a few times, last EX in '09 was 702, and my ONE EQ 700  ..an even 700..was as I mentioned  a couple plus years ago with baddies on my report (aarrgghh!!).

OK, now that I've almost hijacked my own post (Smiley Very Happy), I'll eagerly await your advices!!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll throw another fish in the bucket.

Kroger cards are showing closed on Equifax (and Experian - but not TU as of yet) - so your utilization may have gone up just based on that (can't remember where your balances are).  DH's reports do show a loss of the Kroger CL, and an increase in utilization.  But for him,  overall utilization went from .8% to 1.2%, so it's not damaging.  Balance and utilization on his Kroger card was zero when it last reported.

That percent change in your utilization may have been enough to put you in a different utilization category.

And although you may not have been rebucketed, you may have been re-binned - which some experts claim can have a more dramatic score impact than a rebucketing.  Bins are subcategories within buckets.

Your choice to dispute may or may not delay the impact of the new USBank reporting - IME disputes can take a dang long time to clear (well, at least it seemed like a long time when I was waiting). 

I'm not aware of another poster disputing the Kroger as not being closed - so you lost me on that one.

But - it'll all be fine in the end,  More or less.  Smiley Indifferent

No.  Really.  It will all be fine. 

I'll be watching credit reports right along with you to see what the new reporting status with USBank is - I'm especially anxious to confirm that it does not impact AAofA.

Message 6 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, I thought I was the only one who self-threadjacked! Smiley Very Happy

This one might just have to go in the category of Ain't-No-Telling. Smiley Tongue Normally I'd advise to call CS, and ask them to take a look at it, but you know how to analyze your own reports with the negative factors, so I'm not sure that they'd be able to see anything that we're not seeing. It's always a possibility, though.

And I do believe that about the consumer finance account. The fact that you have only one CFA, and that the negative is displaying in the fourth position instead of higher up, tells me that the scoring formula is digging around in the junk drawer to find four negatives. I know that mine didn't start showing up until I hit the 780's.

btw, it has probably been lurking at #4 for a good while now. It didn't display when your score was above 680, because myFICO reports show fewer and fewer negatives as your score rises. When the high util dropped you under 680, all four displayed. When you go back above 680, you'll probably only see three negatives again, but that fourth one will still be there if a lender pulled a report (they see all four.)

For those who don't get all four displayed because of their higher scores, if you're morbidly curious you can pull a so-called "slant 12" report from http://www.myfico.com/12/home.aspx. It will be just a straight report, and it won't list your warm-fuzzy positives, or AAoA (I think) and other stuff we see on regular myFICO reports, so don't panic. It doesn't mean that you no longer have positive factors or Very Good on Amount of Credit, etc etc. They just don't display on this particular version. The site might leave a cookie that redirects you there for future log-ins. If that happens, you'll have to clear the cookie from your browser. A nuisance, but that's all.

edited to remove double double words words

Message 7 of 14
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for chiming in, beam!  

What makes this case so confounding is.... yes....utilization went up.....but to exactly where it was when score went to 663...and all other info is exactly the same.  With the same util % and other factors the same,  it dropped to 654 (OUCH--it hurts to even type that!), so that's what's so mystifying!  The only other thing that was different was the number of accounts with balances (which actually is lower on the 654 report...but still flagged).  That wouldnt be a bin, would it??

I think it was DI that mentioned disputing it.  She said she saw it showing as 'closed' so she disputed.  This was on the other  Kroger 123 post in which I advised what all the CSR at USBank advised about reporting.  That's the post where I first learned the account was showing up as closed for some customers,  so I pulled my EQ, saw it showed closed, and filed the dispute BEFORE I called USBank.   Because I disputed just at the time they were showing it  closed, I never got my FICO score with it showing just as 'closed'.  I go a Scorewatch alert the next day about a 'change in account' and it showed the Kroger TL as  "in dispute".

I know disputes can drag on....but sometimes..usually when you know they didnt really check anything...they resolve in just a couple of days.   Here's hoping (fingers crossed).

I'm also hoping that by 'new', the CSR meant 'new' in the sense it will be reported by USBank rather than RSB...and that the history would all stay the same. (fingers AND toes  crossed).    That would be the best case scenario and would avoid impact  to AAoA.

And I hope it all corrects itself before USBank does  an EQ review,  which would no doubt result in CLD with my horrible score (fingers, toes and eyes crossed).

Guess all we can do is watch and wait. I'll be alright as long as my teeth don't crack from me gritting them so hard!!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very Happy

I'm crossing everything, too.

If it helps at all, they just softed DH on EQ before the change, so it should be awhile before they do it again - I'm sure you'll be fine.

But, I'll still keep those fingers crossed......... 

Message 9 of 14
rom828
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

lol, I thought I was the only one who self-threadjacked! Smiley Very Happy

I'm just trying to emulate you!!Smiley Very Happy

Good to know about the CFA.  I'm trying to be encouraged by that, especially since right now I'm a little  discouraged.

I'm taking way too much of your time (and I really should be working!!),  but if I may impose a little more to press for your opinion on the simulator showing such a big jump....and  is only shown on EQ---TU simulation just shows nominal increase at the 1 mo/ 3 mo intervals.  Should I put any stock at all in that??

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.