tag
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: WTH! Lost 73 points in a month.

@mitchblue wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:
What is rebucketting?

I was planning to write a long post on this, but one other thread distracted me Smiley Happy

In short, rebucketing happens when your credit profile reaches a certain level of maturity that the impact of certain credit scoring factors change.

For example, if your credit history is 2 years old, having 3/4 credit cards reporting positive balances may not suggest a high risk level, so your FICO score may be 750. But when your credit history reaches 5 years old, suddently 3/4 credit cards reporting positive balances indicate a high risk level, so your FICO score drops to below 700. So even if the credit profiles are the same otherwise, the second one may warrant a lower FICO score. 

That makes no sense. I mean, no doubt what you said is probably accurate but I don't get it? So a longer history with everything still positive they just yank your score down? For no reason oher than a longer history? 

No.  Everything is based on probabilities and acturaral tables. Basically, you're now part of a new pool of people.  Based on the new pool of people in your situation you're __% likely to get in trouble or have financial issues. It's like being in school.  You may be an A student for classes in your major, but each new class, especially for classes not in your major, your chances for getting in "A" in your new class changes.  During your time in each class, as you receive grades for papers, you're probability for getting an "A" increases or decreases.

So being in a new bucket is a new class and your % and probability to not get in financial difficulty will decrease as you continue to pay on time.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 23
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:
What is rebucketting?

I was planning to write a long post on this, but one other thread distracted me Smiley Happy

In short, rebucketing happens when your credit profile reaches a certain level of maturity that the impact of certain credit scoring factors change.

For example, if your credit history is 2 years old, having 3/4 credit cards reporting positive balances may not suggest a high risk level, so your FICO score may be 750. But when your credit history reaches 5 years old, suddently 3/4 credit cards reporting positive balances indicate a high risk level, so your FICO score drops to below 700. So even if the credit profiles are the same otherwise, the second one may warrant a lower FICO score. 

That makes no sense. I mean, no doubt what you said is probably accurate but I don't get it? So a longer history with everything still positive they just yank your score down? For no reason oher than a longer history? 

No.  Everything is based on probabilities and acturaral tables. Basically, you're now part of a new pool of people.  Based on the new pool of people in your situation you're __% likely to get in trouble or have financial issues. It's like being in school.  You may be an A student for classes in your major, but each new class, especially for classes not in your major, your chances for getting in "A" in your new class changes.  During your time in each class, as you receive grades for papers, you're probability for getting an "A" increases or decreases.

So being in a new bucket is a new class and your % and probability to not get in financial difficulty will decrease as you continue to pay on time.

Thanks. Will scores eventually go back up if things stay status quo? 

Learn something new every day..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

Nicely put, bdhu2001!

Mitchblue, in the same example, your maximum score potential with the more mature profile is higher. With 2 years of history, you may be able to get a 750, but with 5 years, you can get 800. Make sure you limit the negative factors to a minimum and you'll get there.
Message 13 of 23
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
Nicely put, bdhu2001!

Mitchblue, in the same example, your maximum score potential with the more mature profile is higher. With 2 years of history, you may be able to get a 750, but with 5 years, you can get 800. Make sure you limit the negative factors to a minimum and you'll get there.

Okay thanks.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 14 of 23
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Yeah it makes no sense. I'm being penalized because of other people with a similar profile. Here I thought my score & credit worthiness would be based on my credit history and choices. Now I have to pay higher rates as I can't see what to do top get my score up? I don't have baddies or anything I could get deleted, I don't have maxed out cards I can pay down.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 15 of 23
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:
What is rebucketting?

Thanks. Will scores eventually go back up if things stay status quo? 

Learn something new every day..

Yep.

Message 16 of 23
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@MoreRewards wrote:
Yeah it makes no sense. I'm being penalized because of other people with a similar profile. Here I thought my score & credit worthiness would be based on my credit history and choices. Now I have to pay higher rates as I can't see what to do top get my score up? I don't have baddies or anything I could get deleted, I don't have maxed out cards I can pay down.

Are you doing the only 1 card reporting and that card is below 10% utilization?

Message 17 of 23
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

No I'm not. I know that is supposed to help maximize score but I'm not doing much different utilization wise. Especially for a 73 point drop. I will pay down and see where it leads me.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 18 of 23
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

My score hasn't been this low in 2 and a half years. I'm worried the EQ & EX scores will follow.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 19 of 23
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@MoreRewards wrote:
No I'm not. I know that is supposed to help maximize score but I'm not doing much different utilization wise. Especially for a 73 point drop. I will pay down and see where it leads me.

I understand that you haven't done anything different to cause the score drop.  That's why it was suggested that your problem is rebucketing.  You asked for a way to maximize points, given your current situation and that you're interested in getting a mortgage loan.  

Utilization has no memory.  Thus pay off all credit cards, except one, before statement close dates and allow one card to report less than 10%. If you do this for the month of February, and keep it that way,  then sometime in March or April you'll have close to the highest score you're able to obtain based on your current bucket.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.